Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key not found

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
Hmmmm

First time having this problem on my P85D. Let's see if it repeats.
fde6019be528a4544975555bf47bef61.jpg

I've had that a bit recently. Even right after my battery was replaced during the car's Annual Service. I assumed Tesla installed a dud battery and replaced it myself, but continued to have the problem. Then I realized what (I believe) is causing it: I keep the fob in my front right pants pocked and in the winter, I often keep my cell phone in my jacket's front right pocket. I'm pretty sure the cell phone in fairly close proximity was causing interference. Once that message appears on the dash, even waiving the key around the cup holders doesn't make it go away immediately. I found if I pressed one of the buttons, the message would clear. Once I stopped keeping my cell phone near the fob, the problem went away and never came back.

Similar thing happened to me this weekend. My two-month old P85D was getting washed and I placed the key in the cup holder (inside the car). After a little bit, the car locked itself with the key inside. Touching the car handle did not open the door. I had to call Tesla to get them to remotely open the door. The key itself seems fine and is working normally. Not sure why the car wasn't getting a signal when the key was in the cupholder.

I've had that a bit recently. Even right after my battery was replaced during the car's Annual Service. I assumed Tesla installed a dud battery and replaced it myself, but continued to have the problem. Then I realized what (I believe) is causing it: I keep the fob in my front right pants pocked and in the winter, I often keep my cell phone in my jacket's front right pocket. I'm pretty sure the cell phone in fairly close proximity was causing interference. Once that message appears on the dash, even waiving the key around the cup holders doesn't make it go away immediately. I found if I pressed one of the buttons, the message would clear. Once I stopped keeping my cell phone near the fob, the problem went away and never came back.

^ This. I've noticed the same thing. I also wonder if the phone being in close proximity all the time makes the key work harder, thus draining the battery quicker. I wish I could send a spare CR2032 cell with every FobPocket I sell as those batteries are dirt cheap in bulk, but the restrictions with shipping lithium batteries make it not worth the effort.

Sorry for not responding sooner.. Busy day. Currently on a plane at 32kft (TMC is a great past time).

So far it was a one time glitch. I exited the car, had lunch, and when I returned the door handles extended and I drove off. The message has not repeated.

The battery is only a few months old and I keep my keys and cell phone in different pockets.

I mostly posted because I thought the picture was funny. If it repeats I'll try swapping the battery.

Were you parked near anything that could cause a large EMF to exist? Large utility power transformer? Radio broadcast tower? These have been known to cause interference as well.

None of the above. I was on a road that I travel on almost daily. Moving the key around had no effect. The message that it could not detect the key stayed for the entire trip until I parked and left the car.

The cup holders is the place tesla usually suggests. It had no effect.

Same for me. The cupholder, near the USB ports... nothing. Once I clicked one of the fob's buttons it started working again. I am all but convinced that having my phone and the fob very near each other was the root cause because it happened a couple of times with my phone in the same pocket and never once I kept the phone away from the fob.

From page 41 of the manual:

If Model S does not detect a key when you
press the brake, the instrument panel displays
a message telling you that a key was not
detected.
Place the key in the center console cup holder
where Model S can best detect it.
If Model S still does not detect the key, try
holding it against the center console,
immediately below the 12V power socket
(see
12V Power Socket on page 87). Or try using
another key. If another key does not work,
contact Tesla.
A number of factors can affect whether
Model S can detect the key. These include a
low battery in the key, interference from other
devices using radio signals, and objects
between the key and receiver.

It always fixes the problem for me if I hold the fob under the 12V. The cup holder is not 100% for me.

I haven't had this problem as of yet. But I do have a question:

My key is always in my pocket and I spend a LOT of time in my garage. I must walk by the car 20x per day, constantly unlocking it. Does this hurt the key fob battery or the lock/unlock mechanism in the car? The idea of taking the key out of my pocket and placing it away from the car when I am at home would be very inconvenient for me as I lose just about everything!