Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yahoo article bashes BEVs in favor of hydrogen fuel cells

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's funny - despite the track record of the Model S and the pending GF, the media likes to bash BEV as a viable alternative to ICE. That is, until some Apple rumor comes out. Then it is not only viable, but is also going to kill Tesla. I hate the media so much.

The funny thing is, they mention Elon as a detractor of "fool cells", but don't give his reason for not liking hydrogen. If Elon is right and the theoretical best case of hydrogen is worse than the current case of batteries, then it's just a matter of economics.
The problem is that articles like this cause impressionable investors to waste their money.

I stopped reading after "If they ever became cost-effective, hydrogen fuel cells would revolutionize not just..."

It's kind of like "if we had ham, we could have ham and eggs, if we had eggs" or "if pigs could fly, then then the aviation industry would have to give up using jet engines and just strap a few pigs under each wing". Come on, Apple! Lead us to our flying-pig future! We're counting on you!

I stopped reading after "If they ever became cost-effective, hydrogen fuel cells would revolutionize not just..."

It's kind of like "if we had ham, we could have ham and eggs, if we had eggs" or "if pigs could fly, then then the aviation industry would have to give up using jet engines and just strap a few pigs under each wing". Come on, Apple! Lead us to our flying-pig future! We're counting on you!

Hah! That literally made me LOL :biggrin:

I was a big believer in hydrogen and fuel cells, but reality just showed it isn't working for powering cars and it's just not practical. Despite all support and funding, it never made it. Tesla showed what works and works every day and is economical. The EV already won. It's a done deal. Before Tesla's success with the Model S, those kind of articles made people doubt EVs. But today, everyone can see the huge success of EVs, the manufacturers are making profits and everyone is getting busy to develop their EV. With that in place, journalists trying to belittle EVs in favor of hyping the old hydrogen nonsense are not creditable.

The "expert" in that video is a fool...

He points to the same problems with fuel cells...economics of fuel cells , motors and how to fuel the cars. Really how is that the future. Replacing one liquid for another. Hmmmm

Electric cars are easy to fuel- glad we spent so much time on that one! Time is the issue.

Batteries are safe and stable. On mass production the cost will come down, I guess we could say that about fuel cells too, so why are fuel cells better again?

I worked for several years in the hydrogen industry. H2 might be a viable fuel for large stationary power installations but it's a non-starter for automotive applications, particularly now with the outstanding performance of Li batteries. Building and maintaining the H2 infrastructure on the same level as current gas stations is just not realistic. And just where do these champions of H2 fuel cells think all that H2 will be coming from? Of course, hydrocarbons...oil. It's a political exercise.

And H2 doesn't like to be contained for long under pressure. Hydrogen embrittlement anyone.

Building out a electric infrastructure is relatively easy as Tesla has shown.