Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Those of you with clear film (PPF, Xpel what have you) look at my edges please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my car done last week and unfortunately I think I've got some issues. I've got three images to show those of you who have clear film - tell me if this is normal.
The most glaring thing I can see so far is there the front of the a-pilla meets the fender and the hood. Both sides are cut oddly and not wrapped like I thought they'd be. Here's two pics of the driver's side:

wZkMHZa.jpg

yuCnByX.jpg

And here's one of the passenger side:

V9Lgl3G.jpg

What do you think? I'm not thrilled with how it looks. The frunk edge on the passenger side is coming up a bit already and I suspect all six edges aren't going to last long with how they were cut.
The other issue is that the doors were done too and the wrapped part in the door threshold has come loose on all four doors. So I know I'm going back - but I want to know about these other issues before I chat with the installer.

Last edited:
I had most of my edges wrapped. It cost a bit more. But you will never get 100 percent perfect on fit like that. I've gotten xpel done on 3 other cars and some corners look like that. Even on my tesla on the pointed corner of the rear doors they have to have it partially exposed because they cant get points perfect.

Thanks to everyone for the input. The more I look at the car the more I find that is upsetting me. They assured me it was not precut sheets.

In addition to the poorly cut corners (not a pun sadly) everywhere the car was wrapped around the adhesion is failing. All over the place.

Mike - I know you're right with how clean and neat it should look. This was not a rush job on my account, they had the car for three full days and I didn't even check in until the morning it was done to ask what time I should head up there.

I emailed the place - BTW the only place that people had recommended to me on the Tesla forums - and we'll see what they say. Thankfully I paid with my Visa and not a check.

From my inspection of all the edges, I think upwards of 95% of the film they applied needs to be removed and new film applied. I haven't analyzed the front bumper yet but all four doors, the hood, and the fenders, all have weird cuts and edges that aren't adhering properly. The mirrors look okay I think. I think the a-pillars are okay, I have to inspect the bottom edge to see if it's acceptable. But for the most part, all the work has to be redone.

The place is a good drive away, about an hour each way. We actually chose it based on lots of positive reviews from Tesla owners. I found an installer 1/2 mile from the Tesla service center but we drove the extra miles to go with someone who knows our cars. I can't win for losing.

I know this isn't the end of the world. I'm trying to stay optimistic that I'll get a reply in the morning apologizing and offering to make it right at any cost. I don't know what they can offer me to compensate me for six hours of extra driving, the loss of my car for 3-4 more days, having to take a half day off work, etc. It's a messy situation.

On closer inspection, I'm seeing lifting of many of the wrapped edges of the Xpel Ultimate film on my new D, particularly at acute corners but also along running straight edges. For example, here's the forward left corner of my frunk hood. Sorry about the blurry cell phone pic.

SteveZ_FrunkHoodLeftFwd_20150224-IMG_5293.jpg

For those keeping up with this, my wife, my kids and I rearranged our @#$ lives today to head up there at lunchtime. I'll let you know how it goes. I called around and just removing this film will cost $150-250. So I'm basically going to give him the option of giving me all my money back plus $200 and we'll walk, or he can get one shot to make it perfect, knowing that if it isn't I'm going to get all my money back plus $200. His choice. I'm really frustrated. This will either reflect really well on him, or really poorly.

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes - just got the car in the sunlight to take pics before bringing it back - there's not a SINGLE EDGE that adhered. Not one. Every edge is poorly cut, and every edge is bubbling and/or peeling. I'm not sure I have faith they have the ability to do this job.

For those keeping up with this, my wife, my kids and I rearranged our @#$ lives today to head up there at lunchtime. I'll let you know how it goes. I called around and just removing this film will cost $150-250. So I'm basically going to give him the option of giving me all my money back plus $200 and we'll walk, or he can get one shot to make it perfect, knowing that if it isn't I'm going to get all my money back plus $200. His choice. I'm really frustrated. This will either reflect really well on him, or really poorly.

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes - just got the car in the sunlight to take pics before bringing it back - there's not a SINGLE EDGE that adhered. Not one. Every edge is poorly cut, and every edge is bubbling and/or peeling. I'm not sure I have faith they have the ability to do this job.
Yes, that's an absolutely amateur job. You need all your money back and then some. DO NOT let him redo the work. It'll just be shabby again.

What material was used? Did you ask for a pre-cut or custom installation? Wrapped edges or not? Was the installer authorized by the film manufacturer? How much was your installation?

A proper full front installation takes us 1-2 days and a full wrap takes us 4-7 business days. So, I'd be very careful if someone is doing a full wrap in 1 day as someone earlier suggested.

Also, please give your installer the opportunity to fix things. If you're not happy with the job, you should simply email or drive to the installer, show him/her your concern, and see what they're going to do for you. A quality installer will always want his/her name to be properly represented, and will go the extra mile to make sure his/her client is happy.

I've had installs that have had edges lift, nobody is perfect; hence why we have complimentary follow ups. This allows for any lifting that would occur, to happen, and we fix those issues. I make sure to either fix, trim, or replace the panel so I'm happy with it. Usually, my OCD is far more demanding than any client of ours' expectations.

So, I'd say take everything you're reading on this thread with a grain of salt, see your installer, and work things out together. After all, you did your homework and he was qualified enough for you to take your MS to him initially; give him the opportunity to make things right.

Let us know how it turns out.

I've left my car with him to fix it. Some pieces are being completely redone, others are being carefully trimmed. He promises it will be terrific and will be completely satisfied. He also said he's done over 100 Teslas which is hard to believe but I have no evidence either way.

So we'll see in a few days.

I appreciate everyone input and opinion, thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus sign was supposed to indicate more for the doors. $2300 total.