Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington Post article on EV incentives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Only Trons

Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2013
Northern Virginia
An recent article in the Washington Post written by Anton Ovchinnikov and Gal Raz discusses the tweaking of incentives for EVs, such as manufacturer subsidies or tax credits.

I am not offering an opinion; just posting this for others to read if they wish. URL is listed below.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/tweaking-incentives-could-aid-the-adoption-of-electric-vehicles/2015/02/18/8cdf26fc-b6d3-11e4-9423-f3d0a1ec335c_story.html

An recent article in the Washington Post written by Anton Ovchinnikov and Gal Raz discusses the tweaking of incentives for EVs, such as manufacturer subsidies or tax credits.

I am not offering an opinion; just posting this for others to read if they wish. URL is listed below.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/tweaking-incentives-could-aid-the-adoption-of-electric-vehicles/2015/02/18/8cdf26fc-b6d3-11e4-9423-f3d0a1ec335c_story.html

To put this in context, the average ICE vehicle will emit approximately 100 Tonnes of CO2 during its life (20 years times 5 Tonnes per year). At the most recently estimated cost of around $200 / Tonne, the no cost dumping of CO2 amounts to an unreimbursed lifetime subsidy to the manufacturer / fuel supplier / owner equal to approximately $20,000. The lifetime emissions costs of ICE vehicles make the subsidies of EVs look modest by the comparison.

To put this in context, the average ICE vehicle will emit approximately 100 Tonnes of CO2 during its life (20 years times 5 Tonnes per year). At the most recently estimated cost of around $200 / Tonne, the no cost dumping of CO2 amounts to an unreimbursed lifetime subsidy to the manufacturer / fuel supplier / owner equal to approximately $20,000. The lifetime emissions costs of ICE vehicles make the subsidies of EVs look modest by the comparison.
Correct me if I'm wrong...
EV subsidies in most countries is temporary. Like for the first 100k or 200k cars per auto maker.
Its a bone to seed the market. Tesla will make millions of EVs for USA delivery alone, when you dilute the total subsidies over millions, its chump change.
Plus in the case of Tesla, the % of car cost of the incentive is low, so the net cost for the Federal govt is even lower (somebody must earn the money to pay for it).