Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hertfordshire to The Alps..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Righto you clever bunch, here's a little topic i would like some feedback on please.
We usually fly to The Alps and usually end up paying through the nose for the privilege of it. Not always with the flights but sometimes the transfers cripple us at its usually Myself, Mrs G & the 4 daughters.However, this Easter it may be just me the good lady & No3 daughter. Since TM have told us we should have our car by the end of march, im thinking on trying to do the Easter Ski Trip in the new motor.
ive been on Via Michelin to judge route stages and although to make use of the SC network it will be necessary to deviate from the recommended route somewhat, however the only stint ive got an issue with frankly is Maidstone to the Senlis SC which is about 350km, ive been onto Chademo europe webpage & there are lots of FC on route.
So my main question is, has anyone got the Chademo Cable/Adaptor? Is the FC network in France much kop. The rub with this trip is, if im not 100% positive this Easter then i will take one of my ICE's, however it would be great to be able to slink down to The Alps and not pay a penny for fuel. Any & all thoughts welcomed. cheers James

Andy, the 19's are running on all weather tyres so socks or chains should suffice this time of year. I've had AWT's on my wives lexus and it behaved better in ice/snow that my old defender on road tyres. Dpeilow, I'm thinking French Alps will be easier, although looking at SC's I could always go down via Germany into Austria or Italy. Usually getting down is a chore so maybe a change of mind set and enjoy the journey whooshing down the Autobahn followed by whooshing down the slopes..

You should have no trouble reaching Senlis. Getting to Chalons en Champagne from Maidstone is a much more challenging route and I wouldn't recommend it unless you really need to go that way.

There's a reasonably decent CHAdeMO network being built out in France at Auchan supermarket sites - you need a kiWhi pass to access it. I believe the sites have 22kW Type 2 as well as CHAdeMO so even without the adaptor you can charge reasonably quickly. Just be careful to check which ones already exist and which are currently "aspirational"!

There's also a completely free (no card required as I understand it) 22kW Type 2 point at a McDonalds at Bapaume (McDonald’s - Bapaume: charge point in Bapaume) which could be useful if you find yourself short of range and in need of a boost.

A supercharger at Arras would be very useful indeed!

The European supercharger rollout thread mentions Calais will have 2 bays soon, which will help. I am thinking of taking my Dad to the Assen BSB race later this year for his 70th, but there seem to be plenty of SCs along that route.