Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery heating without the app.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla app in my smartphone has not been able to consistently communicate with my car. Sometimes, it just won't connect, so I can't heat up either the passenger compartment or the battery in advance of driving. With the temperatures dropping lately to single digits (F) where I live (in February 2015), I'd sure like to be able to turn on battery heating before I start to drive the car (for reasons that are discussed elsewhere in TMC). So, I called the Tesla Service hotline. While the technician was helping me diagnose the problem with the inconsistent communication between my smartphone and the car, I asked him if he knew of a way to turn on the battery heating w/o the app. He said yes.

To turn on battery heating without the app, just increase the battery charging limit temporarily; e.g., if the limit is normally set to 80%, increase it to 90% to start the battery charging. While the battery is charging, it is always also being heated. Once the 90% is reached, both the charging and battery heating are automatically stopped.