Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TomTom GPS file for all North America superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EdA

Model S P-2540
Mar 24, 2011
Cape Cod
I hope this is useful to someone other than myself.
I have a 2012 Tesla Model S, apparently one of the first without the Tech Package.
Why? This has been covered elsewhere in detail. If I were ordering another car
I'd get the tech package now (my wife's car has it for instance) but at the time I didn't
see the value in it since it didn't route around traffic and there was no supercharger network when I committed to my car! Fortunately my car has some of the features
which are now in the tech package.

OK, if you download this file Dropbox - tsla_na_scs_2015_02_22.ov2
it contains all of the North America superchargers up to and including Shamrock, TX (added 2/21/2015). See the amazing web site Superchargers and select "Changes" and then "North America". If you see any issues please PM me. I will
try to update the GPS file periodically.

The file is in TomTom OV2 format. I think you can load the file into POI EDITOR (donation sent) and write out another format.

For my GPS I started on this page:

How can I install or remove third party POIs?

A TomTom POI set consists of a file with the extension .ov2. You can also add an optional .bmp bitmap file that contains icon images for your POI set.

How you install or remove POIs depends on the program you use to update your device. Find the correct instructions by selecting one of the options below.

Anyway, this came in quite useful on a 1,200 mile mid-winter trip last weekend with my elderly parents. Normally we take my wife's car for road trips now, but this was an exception.

Last edited:
Thanks for the file with GPSbabel, i converted it for Microsoft Street & Trips, which I have been using for many many years. I can now plan my route and find hotels and points of interests along the route.

If someone needs the converted file for Street & Trips from 2007 on, just drop me a private mail and I will send it to you.

thanks again.

What a fine series of updates, the last of which is regularly the best one of the batch. I'm looking for another update, in ov2 format. surely the May 12 2017 file has been superseded by 2020 superchargers added to the network. Very useful and gives those with tomtom gps units a GPS [with waypoints] as a secondary nav system. Something Tesla has yet to implement.

plus my MCU just went blank, black screen and i'm driving toward a service center on backup navigation, now.

anyone have a link to a country-wide source for ov2 style Tesla Supercharger Locations?

Lithium powered ion transportation for an improved transportation fleet with solar powered source generation.

You did list the site
on Feb 22, 2015
Your entry : Feb 22, 2015 and under the red highlighted word " Superchargers." It is now a spreadsheet file of some 2000 rows and using the word 'Data ' in stead of' 'changes' one can get the spreadsheet to copy onto their own spread sheet with columns for latitude and longitude, if desired. Putting them in date order may help with getting the new ones to the top. Your most recent file is 2017 so it can be a starting point, then adding the new ones after 2017, and the remaining complication is getting those that are other than "open" out of the list. but with a bit of luck that can be overcome also. I see why you did it by hand. And i might just see why you stopped that as they became more numerous. Tho it may also have been at that time that your gps died. Mine is still going. Thanks so much for doing this all those years. I finally have the means to get a POI listing of all active SC's and upon getting near to needing one I can ask the gps to route toward a nearby POI with the Interest being Electrons and have a supercharger appear on the horizon approximately when needed. Your suggestion of 'POI editor' is good one and I second that suggestion.

Thats a nice volume knob for your logo. Is it a Sherwood knob? I see it is all the way up. it looks like one. but there may be others.

In my logo the missing electron [dotted] is so sorely missed that the Li2 ion wants to be an Li3 atom, so it steals one from the neighbor, and that happens enough across the sheets in every one of the 7000 rolled up batteries to make a flow great enough and with enough force so that it prefers to turn the four wheels of my vehicle.

dave in Pennsylvania

It certainly appears that some did find your work useful. I successfully went from Pennsylvania to St. Louis and back with only a tomtom nav device using these points of interest as superchargers for a filllup location. The device correctly warned me each and every time i was within the chosen mileage of a POI and asked me if i would like to stop and charge or continue to the next one.[set-uo that way, for that purpose] I sometimes did one and then the other. When i chose to visit the POI the device led me to the correct parking lot, and always the chargers were within the approx area. Sometimes a bit of a drive around the lot was necessary to find the exact spot, but always it was very close if not exactly right on.
Replacing the MCU unit, [front screen computer,] will resolve this issue as soon as one is available, but this trip was made before one became available, and the tomtom go-730 workaround was ideal,

thank you for keeping the list going for those years.

Reactions: EdA