Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirrors are possessed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems lately that my side rear view mirrors are possessed! When I put the car into reverse the mirrors may or may not point down. Usually they do. When I put the car back into drive, however, often either the left or right mirror does not return to the proper position forcing me to manually do it (and re-save the position in the profile). I have tried re-saving the profiles for reverse and drive and still the problem persist. It can be especially dangerous at night where it can be difficult to tell that the mirror is in the wrong position when driving.

It seems lately that my side rear view mirrors are possessed! When I put the car into reverse the mirrors may or may not point down. Usually they do. When I put the car back into drive, however, often either the left or right mirror does not return to the proper position forcing me to manually do it (and re-save the position in the profile). I have tried re-saving the profiles for reverse and drive and still the problem persist. It can be especially dangerous at night where it can be difficult to tell that the mirror is in the wrong position when driving.

Reverse mirror auto tilting has been problematic for me, I set up everything as desired & save in my profile & it works fine for about a month then simply stops tilting, I have gone thru this at least 3 times over the last 20 months with tons of reboots & all the new firmwares. Nothing is ever found looking at the logs when there has been more series issues so i won't bother bringing this up with Tesla, I guess the next time I am bored i will try again.

You guys are doing it all wrong! I had a very similar problem where it just stopped working a few months in, nothing major but kind of annoying. I complained at the service center and they said everything looked good from a firmware and hardware standpoint. As I was getting ready to leave and chatting with the service tech I mentioned it again, so we went through the process: start car, put in Reverse, adjust mirrors, click save, switch back to drive and try it out, no luck despite doing it at least 5 times. Then it suddenly dawned on us to not hit save, just put it in reverse and adjust, then switch back to drive mode. Sure enough we did that and they were working again! Remembering back to the first time walk through, those were the instructions they gave, but the Save button is tempting to click and from a UI standpoint it would make more sense, but it doesn’t work, go figure.

Went thru the process again this past Monday, readjusted the mirrors while in reverse, pressed saved & it worked fine for a couple of days...today it no longer points down even after a reboot. I have added "Mirrors Possessed" to my list of things that need to be fixed at my next servicing, I doubt this will be resolved.

I've had the same problem just in the past week (occurred 3 times, left mirror only not returning to normal position after coming out of reverse). Never had the problem before. It seems readily solved by just pressing my profile name, but very annoying.

I had a similar problem when I first got my car, my driver side mirror would suddenly change position, seemingly randomly.

I took it to service, they replaced the mirror and its all fine now.

You may have a hardware problem.

My car started doing it again on the passenger side. I adjust the mirror position for drive and press save yet the next time I put the car into reverse then back into drive it does not use the saved position. I have tried both with and without the side mirror adjustment enabled when I hit save. I have rebooted the center console and that made no difference.

This is a major safety issue! Last night on the freeway I changed lanes after looking into the right side mirror and it was only after the fact that I realized that the mirror was pointed down and virtually useless since it was dark. I have contacted Tesla service and will be dropping in tomorrow. I am considering notifying the NTSB about this issue.

I now know the root cause(s). I took my car in and the fellow at the desk had seen this problem before. The previous time it took them several days to identify the problem going so far as to bring in one of the lead engineers. There is a problem if the mirror is pointed too far down in reverse. By making it point not quite so far down it now returns properly.

There are also some know issues with the software release I am running, 6.1.125 which are addressed in later releases. So if the mirror is not returning after going into reverse, try changing the reverse mirror position by moving it up slightly.

Apparently this is a known hardware problem, though future software releases may help with it.

Last edited: