Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone here Homebrew?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JohnSnowNW

Feb 13, 2015
Minnesota
Just curious. Here is my Brett IPA that I'm drinking as I brew an Am. Wheat:

mzN7L3z.jpg

Here is the Cascade bittering addition to the Am. Wheat:

BwaPZQW.jpg

Anyway, just curious as the NHC is about to take place. I'm entering a Rye Porter into the Specialty Category. Not expecting it to win, but interested in some feedback.

Who else has gotten into this extremely expensive, and obsessive hobby?

Rye porter... nice! I really enjoy porters.. have about a third of a keg of my porter left.

I just kegged my Citra IPA yesterday. I have another week in the secondary fermenter for the oak bourbon stout before I can keg that.

Some pics of our last couple of brew sessions:

IMG_20141115_164741.jpg
IMG_20141115_151829_829.jpg

IMG_0082.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0085.JPG

Rye porter... nice! I really enjoy porters.. have about a third of a keg of my porter left.

I just kegged my Citra IPA yesterday. I have another week in the secondary fermenter for the oak bourbon stout before I can keg that.

Some pics of our last couple of brew sessions:

View attachment 73013View attachment 73012
View attachment 73007View attachment 73008View attachment 73015

Nice set of keggles there...I'm actually surprised that you have keggles, but your ferm control is a water bath. I use a chest freezer and Johnson Controls A419 as a ferm chamber. Not that there is anything wrong with what your doing...but it's just a lot easier than trying to control the temps in a water bath.

Currently on tap I have:

Brett IPA
Rye Porter
BA RIS

Aging a Rose Hip Tripel (5 months in)...which I plan on souring.

Yeah, I don't want to carve up space for a freezer at the moment, so this is the method for the moment...

We actually just started with the keggles doing BIAB, prior to that it was extracts in turkey fryers.

That Brett looks nice... great color and head.

This is R2-B2, my portable keg chest:

IMG_20140621_102242.jpg

Ha, well thanks. It's actually the first time I've used Brett...though there is some doubt as to whether WLP-644 is actually Brett.

I can understand the space issue...I can only ferment 5 gallons at a time in the ferm chamber...and the wife still complains about the space it takes up.

I like you're portable set-up. I've considered putting something together...but I don't go anywhere ;) It's growlers for when I do manage to venture outside.

while I dont personally brew [or own a model s yet] I have started to grow hops for a homebrewer co-worker.
this photowwas taken at the end of last years establishing growth. this years vines have just started to break the surface.

14873694691_eea880d8c0.jpg

I do age my own whiskey though!
15449656599_c87b7cb86b.jpg

his homebrew rig
10995437985_dc58d93d25.jpg

Last edited:
while I dont personally brew [or own a model s yet] I have started to grow hops for a homebrewer co-worker.
this photowwas taken at the end of last years establishing growth. this years vines have just started to break the surface.

14873694691_eea880d8c0.jpg

I do age my own whiskey though!
15449656599_c87b7cb86b.jpg

his homebrew rig
10995437985_dc58d93d25.jpg

Aging your own whiskey counts, in the overall reach of "homebrewing." I also make cider, and wine.

I also grow hops...three of them will be in their 3rd year, and one in the 2nd, this coming summer.

My set-up:

JpCHLIy.jpg

What I got from my 2nd year Cascades last year:

s46ZvO6.jpg

rkhY9Ok.jpg

thats a pretty good haul, last year I only got a little over a half gallon bags worth. how tall are your posts, the look over 13 ft.

I can't remember how tall I made them now...I want to say they are 12-13 ft. I designed it to give the hops about 18ft of growth...which still wasn't enough...as the Cascade went about 26ft last year. I believe I got just shy of 2 lbs wet, of the Cascade. The others varieties didn't produce anywhere near as much...but cutworms got my tettnanger plant the first year...so it was stunted.

I homebrew root beer. It is delicious. Though sometimes dangerous depending on how I try to carbonate it.

The wife wants me to get into making soda, but I need a bigger kegerator as mine can only hold 3 kegs. My kids would probably appreciate it, as well.

after the great success of my whiskey aging, i decided to age some huge arker in the barrel that had glenfiddich 15 in it for 6 months.

i am VERY pleased with the results. if anyone our there has had the privlidge of enjoying firestone parabola then they would know the ball park im hitting at. im no beer reviewer but it is damn good, similar booze / sipping quality of parabola but with a nice kick of spice from the glenfiddich.

10359010_10203899568869733_6280541059497132980_o.jpg
11043286_10203899623391096_1053818677815270386_o.jpg
10835216_10204048044661535_4451465254323414328_o.jpg
11080426_10204048053381753_1333882707917068873_o.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

holy massive images, sorry.

after the great success of my whiskey aging, i decided to age some huge arker in the barrel that had glenfiddich 15 in it for 6 months.

i am VERY pleased with the results. if anyone our there has had the privlidge of enjoying firestone parabola then they would know the ball park im hitting at. im no beer reviewer but it is damn good, similar booze / sipping quality of parabola but with a nice kick of spice from the glenfiddich.

- - - Updated - - -

holy massive images, sorry.

Nice. Are you not re carbing the beer? Also, how are you mitigating O2 exposure during the transfer to the keg?

Nice. Are you not re carbing the beer? Also, how are you mitigating O2 exposure during the transfer to the keg?

uh... hahah! welp this is why i dont homebrew! hard liqueur needs no such careful planing.
basically i dont know about any of that. i just transferred, after reading your post, all the "beer" into much smaller vessels and sucked out as much air as i could with those wine bottle vacuum doo-dads.

im bring the concoction to work today and tomorrow so it will pretty much all be gone in 24 hours.

I started home brewing in 1982.

Almost 5 years ago, I moved up to becoming one of the owners of a tiny production brewery here in Rockville, MD, and this season we have started canning our beer. Fun times.

uh... hahah! welp this is why i dont homebrew! hard liqueur needs no such careful planing.
basically i dont know about any of that. i just transferred, after reading your post, all the "beer" into much smaller vessels and sucked out as much air as i could with those wine bottle vacuum doo-dads.

im bring the concoction to work today and tomorrow so it will pretty much all be gone in 24 hours.

"Keg" should have been "Barrel"...

Anyway, well if you decide you enjoy aging beer in those barrels, you could purchase a simple Co2 system relatively cheaply. This could be used to both carbonate the beer, and flush out O2 from the barrel before transfer. Something to consider ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I started home brewing in 1982.

Almost 5 years ago, I moved up to becoming one of the owners of a tiny production brewery here in Rockville, MD, and this season we have started canning our beer. Fun times.

Congrats on making a successful transition! I have two friends from HS that have each opened a brewery, and are doing quite well.

I started home brewing in 2003. Did 1-2 batches most years until 2011. But I did a batch in Feb -- a Stone Cali-Belgique clone (using a recipe from Stone...). Turned out fantastic.

unfortunatly it's heating up in AZ, and I don't have anything to help control fermentation temps. Next batch will be next winter...