Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Heating system Model S

Wattage and immediacy of interior heating for comfort

Petrol drive cars often take a time to heat up the inside - as long as 20 minutes, and maybe 5 mins for modern cars today.

However, seeing as the Tesla S is electric, is the air instantly warm as soon as you switch it on?

Also, what's the maximum wattage of the internal heating system? For comparison, my convector heater in my house is 2kW, so I hope it's close to that.

Does anyone know approximately how much more efficient it is to use the heated seats vs. only the cabin heat in the Model S? I'd rather go with the textile interior, but don't want to take a huge hit on mileage by running the cabin heat, so leather may be necessary. From reading different posts, it's obvious that it's more efficient to use the heated seats, but are we talking a little or a lot? Sorry if this has already been answered, couldn't find the answer I was looking for, thanks!

It's been suggested that heated seat use is preferred to using the HVAC for heating..

Limit the use of resources such as heating and air conditioning. Using
    seat heaters to keep warm is more efficient than heating the cabin.
    Hello, I'm Sig 957!
    VIN 748

I've had my Model S for three weeks and temperatures in Michigan ranged from 30 Degrees Fahrenheit (Freezing) to 60 Degrees Fahrenheit. From my experience:

1) When temperatures were at or just below freezing, using the HVAC (without seat warmers), the Model S warmed up to 70 Degrees Fahrenheit (cabin temperature) in approximately 2 minutes (or less).
    2) Keeping the cabin at 70 Degrees did not significantly reduce range. I drove 70 MPH on the highway with the outside temp at 34 Degrees Fahrenheit and the cabin temperature at 70 Degrees Fahrenheit. I drove 120 miles (all highway). My Watts Per Mile was 315 (270 Miles of range).
    3) While warming the cabin has a minimal reduction on range, I noticed that warming the battery does require a lot of juice. In other words, at temperatures of 32 degrees Fahrenheit or below, the first few miles of driving at city speeds (30 MPH to 40 MPH) translated into something like 480 to 520 Watts Per Mile. However, after 2 to 4 miles of driving, the battery did warm up to its optimal temperature and my WPM dropped to something like the low 300s.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by michiganmodels; 2012-11-21 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by michiganmodels View Post
    I've had my Model S for three weeks and temperatures in Michigan ranged from 30 Degrees Fahrenheit (Freezing) to 60 Degrees Fahrenheit. From my experience:

1) When temperatures were at or just below freezing, using the HVAC (without seat warmers), the Model S warmed up to 70 Degrees Fahrenheit (cabin temperature) in approximately 2 minutes (or less).
    2) Keeping the cabin at 70 Degrees did not significantly reduce range. I drove 70 MPH on the highway with the outside temp at 34 Degrees Fahrenheit and the cabin temperature at 70 Degrees Fahrenheit. I drove 120 miles (all highway). My Watts Per Mile was 315 (270 Miles of range).
    3) While warming the cabin has a minimal reduction on range, I noticed that warming the battery does does require a lot of juice. In other words, at temperatures of 32 degrees Fahrenheit or below, the first few miles of driving at city speeds (30 MPH to 40 MPH) translated into something like 480 to 520 Watts Per Mile. However, after 2 to 4 miles of driving, the battery did warm up to its optimal temperature and my WPM dropped to something like the low 300s.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks, this info is very helpful and definitely answers my question. I appreciate the help!

Blog Entries
    The seat heaters use, for all practical purposes, no power. Cabin heating uses a *TON* of power -- but what I haven't seen anyone talk about yet is what it's like to keep the cabin at 70F when it's 0F outside. The cabin seems to be ridiculously-well insulated. I'm surprised at how little energy is required to keep it at 70 inside when it's 40 outside. You can almost get away with shutting the heat off once the cabin's comfortable inside when it's 45 outside.
    It also takes a relatively short burst of energy to get the cabin up to operating temperature if it's been sitting in the cold. Again -- no known observations from 0F. To me, that's the real test. These 40F days just don't count

I find I'm able to turn the heat down if I have the seat heaters on -- so yes, it helps. I'm just not sure if being able to lower the cabin temp by several degrees will make a significant impact. But I can tell you I'm more comfortable having the seat warmers on and cabin at 73 than I am with them off and cabin at 77 (73/77 is high -- I think my interior sensor has issues or something .. it's not REALLY 73/77 inside).
    SOLD | Roadster 2.5 #1077 | Very Orange | Forged Wheels | Electronics Package
    Model S #SSL146 / VIN #246 | Signature Red | Black Interior with CF Accents | 21" Silver Wheels | Panoramic Sunroof | Performance
    http://fearlessbit.com/

So we want that iPhone/Android App really quickly so we can turn on the cabin heater while the car is still connected to the grid so we can draw power from there instead of the battery.

Saves you some range again

I have no idea about the wattage, but the heat is not so quick. Mine blows cold air for a couple of minutes. It would seem that the blower could be held back until the heat was distributed in the system. I'm assuming they are using a scroll compressor as a heat pump, but that's just a guess.

Thanks, that's unfortunate. One of the big advantages of an electric car, is that any standard electric appliance can theoretically be used. When I put on my convector fan heater, heat instantly comes out. And so it should be the same with the Model S or any electric car.

I'm guessing that the 'waste' heat is used to supply the interior heating, but this should be at least supplemented by the battery's direct power.

In my Volt the seat heaters use about 50W each, vs about 5000W for the cabin heater. Seat heaters allow me to keep the cabin heater off most of the time, or use a lower setting when it is needed. Seat heaters for all seats should be standard on all EVs.

GSP

PS. The Volt can be set up to turn the seat heaters on when pre-conditioning the cabin (GM calls this "remote start"). I hope Tesla will offer this also.

Thread Information