Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you add carbon fiber trim as retrofit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand fake carbon fiber, or even real carbon fiber added as trim pieces. It's like the car equivalent of a fake designer handbag. The car is aluminum. It's one thing when the CF frame shows through or the body pieces are left bare and clear-coated, that's authentic and super cool. I love CF. I just don't get adding it to a car that doesn't utilize it. But, then again, I don't understand buying anything other than a Tesla right now so there's 16 million people who clearly disagreed with me this year. So my opinion matters only to me. That said, I don't get it.

I don't understand fake carbon fiber, or even real carbon fiber added as trim pieces. It's like the car equivalent of a fake designer handbag. The car is aluminum. It's one thing when the CF frame shows through or the body pieces are left bare and clear-coated, that's authentic and super cool. I love CF. I just don't get adding it to a car that doesn't utilize it. But, then again, I don't understand buying anything other than a Tesla right now so there's 16 million people who clearly disagreed with me this year. So my opinion matters only to me. That said, I don't get it.

Well, there weren't 16M Telsas available anyway :)

The reason for carbon fibre, and other materials, would be apparent if the sun was shining through the back window. You'd be blinded if it was aluminum. Just the bezel around the speedometer has done that to me on occasion.

Carbon fibre on the dash looks modern, isn't wood (been a while since horses pulled my carriage), and doesn't reflect badly when the sun shines on it. So it actually does something, not just what you might expect.

Seems doing and not too expensive for the dash, since its only three pieces. The expensive part might be the armrest thing--those trim pieces don't look like they come off, so you might have to get a whole new one. And the yacht floor.

I seem to remember reading about someone doing this when they changed the direction of the grain of the obeche wood trim.

I know this an old thread, but I just went through this and thought I'd throw in what I found out.

Tesla will not sell trim separately, so that is just simply not an option.

My motivation was to change from vertically-oriented obeche wood trim to the new horizontal style. Maybe I'm OCD, but I think the look is much better.

I actually removed all my dash trim and traded with another forum user. It's pretty straight-forward and only took me a couple hours, and I went slow to make sure I didn't damage anything. Every screw is a Torx 20 and there's maybe 15 of them total for all three pieces on the dash. A lot of the lower pieces under the dash just pull out. Once removed, you could swap or wrap your current set.

The best instructions I found didn't include many pictures for the trim removal portion, but I ended up not needing any: http://www.teslarati.com/how-to-add-a-carbon-fiber-interior-trim-wrap-tesla-model-s/

I know this an old thread, but I just went through this and thought I'd throw in what I found out.

Tesla will not sell trim separately, so that is just simply not an option.

My motivation was to change from vertically-oriented obeche wood trim to the new horizontal style. Maybe I'm OCD, but I think the look is much better.

I actually removed all my dash trim and traded with another forum user. It's pretty straight-forward and only took me a couple hours, and I went slow to make sure I didn't damage anything. Every screw is a Torx 20 and there's maybe 15 of them total for all three pieces on the dash. A lot of the lower pieces under the dash just pull out. Once removed, you could swap or wrap your current set.

The best instructions I found didn't include many pictures for the trim removal portion, but I ended up not needing any: http://www.teslarati.com/how-to-add-a-carbon-fiber-interior-trim-wrap-tesla-model-s/

So what would Tesla do if you told them someone broke into your car and stole all your trim? :tongue:

Surely they'll have to sell you trim in that case :wink:

Real carbon fiber laid over a backing material (at least on my car, could have changed).
Thanks. Thinking about it now, I guess someone could call that "fake" as its not structural just decorative. My first thought when someone called it fake was meaning that it was just like printed into the plastic or molded just like the fake "wood" junk in some cars these days.