Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

California: Car wash in Los Altos / Palo Alto / Mountain View

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

I saw a couple of related threads on this, but nothing exact. The subject says it all: I would love to find a Tesla-friendly place to get my car washed. I'm open to anything (is there an app for that?). I don't think I'd trust the place where I take my other cars as those narrow wheel slots don't look very friendly to my P rims.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I don't know if it helps, but in between hand washes I take mine to the automated wash at Chevron (Shoreline & Middlefield) in Mountain View, of all places. Two reasons: 1) it's completely touchless so there's no grimy stuff getting rubbed on my car, and 2) it doesn't have wheel rails so there's zero chance of curbing the wheels. It has an air dryer, and a couple parking spots at the exit where you can finish the drying job yourself. Pay inside if you don't have cash. Fold your mirrors and you can get close enough to the number pad to enter your code.

If your car is properly dirty a touchless wash might not do the trick. I've only been in the area for a year, but it seems like at worst the car gets a little dusty. A touchless wash can easily handle that.

• Helpful
Reactions: newtman
I don't know if it helps, but in between hand washes I take mine to the automated wash at Chevron (Shoreline & Middlefield) in Mountain View, of all places. Two reasons: 1) it's completely touchless so there's no grimy stuff getting rubbed on my car, and 2) it doesn't have wheel rails so there's zero chance of curbing the wheels. It has an air dryer, and a couple parking spots at the exit where you can finish the drying job yourself. Pay inside if you don't have cash. Fold your mirrors and you can get close enough to the number pad to enter your code.

Silver/Gold/Platinum was with different cycles added. $10 for the Platinum, but you don't get the $1 discount for buying 8 gallons of gas! :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

Why not ask the Tesla dealer in Palo Alto who they recommend?

Have you thought about washing it your self? I own OCDetail in the east bay and have worked a lot of Tesla's. All my customers I showed how to do a rinse less wash rave about how easy it is to keep the car clean. After a little practice it becomes a 15-20 min process and almost always safer than a high volume wash. Feel free to contact me and I'd happily get you pointed in the right direction.

If your car is properly dirty a touchless wash might not do the trick. I've only been in the area for a year, but it seems like at worst the car gets a little dusty. A touchless wash can easily handle that.

Thanks. I'll try that out.

I'm still dreaming of a good wash-at-home service that will come to my house, but I guess they don't exist...

Have you thought about washing it your self? I own OCDetail in the east bay and have worked a lot of Tesla's. All my customers I showed how to do a rinse less wash rave about how easy it is to keep the car clean. After a little practice it becomes a 15-20 min process...

That is what I do. I have only used a commercial car wash twice in my life, when I had one leg in a cast. Prefer to wash my car myself.

I've had my P85 washed regularly at the OFJCC (corner of San Antonio and Charleston.) They hand wash the car, and there are several other Model S owners who have them work on their cars. They know details like putting the console into "screen cleaning mode", etc. I work out in the gym or have a bite in the coffee shop while they complete the wash. I'm very pleased with the results.

I've had my P85 washed regularly at the OFJCC (corner of San Antonio and Charleston.)...

I get in there with my membership card... What if you aren't a member? Do you take your car to the front area and ask them to valet park it?
If you tell the guard station that you are just coming for a car detail will they let you through?

I grew up in Los Altos, and my family has been going to Lozano's in Mountain View for years. They offer a full range of detailing services, and if they can't run your car through the wash line (combination of automated/hand wash) they'll hand-wash it. They're not the cheapest, but if you shop at local area markets, they usually have discount coupons on the back of receipts, or have plenty of coupons at the wash itself.

Lozano's I always see a couple Tesla's there...I wouldn't be surprised if they washed 80+ Tesla's a day there.
I've taken our cars to Lozano's for the last couple years as well, and have never had any issues. Good value for the money (current coupon price for interior/exterior is, I believe, $17.99). I have, however, spotted some minor wheel rash lately on my S85 (19in wheels). I have no evidence that it was caused from their wheel slots, but I am wondering if it could be the cause.