Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what does E mean on signal strength indicator?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I am away from my car manual at the moment... is there any mention of it in there? I've only noticed it of late, thinking it's related to energy saving mode I've been trying out lately..

anyway, when E is up I know its going to be a few minutes before anything 3g is going to work reliably, it seems

It means you're on "Edge", which shows you've got 2/3rds of 3/8s of diddly-squat in terms of cell coverage. Has nothing to do with the car's energy saving mode.

I'll go with Scott and say it is related to Energy saving mode. 2 reasons:

1) I'll pull into my work parking, and have full 3G bars. Slacker and Nav still work. 8 hrs later, when I start the car, E shows up for the signal strength. (even though I am in 3G coverage area).
2) The behaviour I described above stopped when I turned off energy saving mode.

Thought it might be that. Also my dash display is quick to power itself off after leaving the car and coming back... greeted with dark screen for a couple seconds, then a Tesla logo for a few more... and as I am pressing on the brakes to wake it up finally get the spinning speedometer in the ready to shift position... then I can go.

I think Tesla is getting more aggressive on power savings.. probably to combat the weak 12v battery design.

The E stands for EDGE or Enhanced Data for GSM Evolution.

This is a legacy cellular data protocol, faster than GSM but slower than 3G. Sometimes it's referred to as "2.5G."

The car's cellular modem will drop back to EDGE when the car is in a weak AT&T signal area as 3G requires a stronger carrier signal than EDGE. It could also mean you are in an area with older tower equipment that doesn't support 3G, but there's nearly none of this left in the US. I'm not so sure about Canada.

While EDGE transmission uses less power than 3G, it's a difference measured in milliwatts and only significant on cell phones with tiny batteries measured in milliamp-hours. I can assure you that your car with a battery measured in killowatt-hours (a million times larger) is not dropping back to EDGE by choice to save power.

At various versions iOS and Android smartphones have shown the same thing on their cell status icons when in marginal coverage and dropping back to EDGE. For example:

http://www.imore.com/sites/imore.com/files/images/stories/2008/09/iphone_21_3g_edge_icons.jpg
iphone_21_3g_edge_icons.jpg