Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My MA gas and electricity bill seems insanely high? Drove <25 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just moved to MA from CA, and this is the first month I have a "full bill" for electricity and gas, and it seems insanely high. Our heating is gas and we didn't need heat in California, so it's hard for me to "ballpark" how much we are using, but it was 70 therms this month ($100).

Our electricity came to 700 kWh ($168). In California, where we obviously brought all of the same electronics, our electricity bill WITHOUT the Tesla was about 300kWh ($30). It's important to note that the Tesla used to be plugged in to an electric outlet that we did not get billed for in a shared garage (with our landlord's knowledge). So, we never really knew how much electricity it was using. That said, this would "suggest" it used 400kWh of electricity. That seems insanely high. One reason is that we drove it less than 25 miles this month. I was traveling aboard, and the snow storms kept it in. I find it impossible to believe it vampire drained 400kWh of electricity.

I'd love to call NSTAR (aka. Eversource), but their customer service appears to be closed entirely on the weekends. My electricity breakdown was $64 in delivery charge, $104 in generation charge. Is the cost of electric just that insanely high in MA?

The Tesla should have been no more than 20kwh I expect. Note that a refrigerator can easily be 150kwh or more if it is old or not working great... Perhaps that was damaged in the move?
Incandescent lighting in a home could be also around 150kwh... Did you bring all light bulbs with you? Does it get dark earlier? do you have a water recirculation pump in the new property? Even though you heat on gas, the fan to blow air around is likely electric... How much was that fan running? There are many surprising sources of energy that can happen when you move house.

Assuming your power meter can tell you how much energy you are using at any specific time... Go and measure it every few hours to see what it is at different times of day... Then one at a time turn off circuit breakers or devices to figure out what each uses until you are down to 0... Noting that some devices change usage over time.

Looking at the forum, the size of solar systems people are buying, etc, there are many families that, even without their Tesla, use up to 4000 kWh per month... Probably they have several refrigerators, a hot tub, and air conditioning... But still...

While you use natural gas as the primary heating fuel, your furnace/boiler also uses a lot of power running fans or pumps. And it's been really cold, so your furnace has probably been operating a LOT. Also, is your hot water heater gas or electric? What was it in CA?

Any chance, btw, that this first bill is also picking up the partial month when you moved in?

Thanks Robert and can'tdecide for the responses! I need to investigate a few of these things. Particularly the furnace/boiler and the hot water heater. cantdecide: The refrigerator here is different, so I can check that out. We moved to a condo, so I will also talk to other tenants to ask about their bills. They are heated the same way.

We're paying around 24 cents per kilowatt hour as well. What I've noticed (and much thanks to the members of this forum for giving me the heads up) is that the preheat uses A LOT of power. During the pack heat, I've noticed only 5-8 miles per hour intiataly while the draw is the max 12 Kw. After the pack is heated the draw remains the same, and the miles/hour of charge increases. The extreme cold we've been experiencing (-18 today) is wreaking havoc on the battery!

andydoty:
Did you happen to catch Telsa Living's most recent blog entry on his observed data analysis regarding cold weather effects on range.
Tesla Living is based in Eastern Mass.

Last couple months usage here:

Screen Shot 2015-02-22 at 9.37.07 PM.jpg

The increase y/y is basically showing the Tesla.

700kWh/$168 would be nice....

Also note, I have Oil heat, no space heaters. And this is the meter for the house, the Farm/barn are completely separate.

As the time crawls closer to my Tesla order date, I will be having some preparation improvements made to the garage that will be the home for the Tesla.
The older individual garage doors will be replaced with one single 17 foot door. This will allow me a tiny bit more space to pull the wide Tesla in.
Also a new and separate electric service will be installed for that same 2 car garage. The new service will be on its own meter.
The new service will essentially be just for the Tesla, with a HPWC, a NEMA 14-50 plug acting as a spare or backup for the HPWC.
Also about 3 NEMA 15-20 110 volt plugs for vacuuming etc.

Regarding the monitors you mentioned, I have not looked into such a system. The Tesla will be on its own meter (for as clean a power source as I can get and to avoid very costly runs of #2 from the house to the barn / garage complex) so its monthly bill will be quite easy to understand the Tesla kWh use.

As an aside, Tliving has recently installed a fairly large Solar City array upon his house for electrical generation purposes.
Not sure if it is turned on.
Wondering if the panels are deep in snow cover or if they have shed the 5 feet of snow that his area of Mass has received?

I will search the Brultech and Ted monitors to see if they can give me more data that I can use.

As a former engineer, I just love numbers..... sick.:redface:

Don't feel bad. The unseasonable cold here in NC combined with 100% electric HVAC in my new place pushed me over 5,500 kWh for the last 30 days, which included a few hundred miles of Tesla driving. HVAC was 70+% of the usage. I use the TED energy monitor to monitor my loads with their "spyder" addons.

Definitely need to work on improvements there.

Wondering if the panels are deep in snow cover or if they have shed the 5 feet of snow that his area of Mass has received?
I have 36 panels on 3 separate roof sections. They've been covered since the first snowfall at the end of January. One section just shed yesterday in the warm weather. The rest will probably stay covered until I clear the rest of the roof (the panels are at the top of the roof, so they can't shed if they are held up by snow on the roof below).

OP: California's wide use of tiered rates may have a lot of bark when we hear of $.30-.40/kwh rates, but the bite in MA is worse when you realize $.24/kwh is the price we pay, from the first to the last watt.

Leaving CA, for MA, is a bit like leaving renewables, for demand-response. I know DPU's lights are out :tongue: