Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged by another S owner... Tysions Corner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So left work earlier today and decided to stop by Tysons Mall (Virginia) and parked in the designated Tesla parking that has HPWC (tesla store has parking for about 6 Tesla's in a secure location with two HPWC and 1-2 40A wall sockets). There were four spaces taken so I took one of the remaining and then used the 40A wall socket and my own charger to plug in.

I then went and ran some errands at the mall that I needed to do and then met my wife and Kids for dinner (they drove out on their own due to it being a snow day). Towards the end of the dinner I received a notice that charging had been interrupted, so I promptly left my wife and kids and went back to the car. What I found was an out of state (NEW YORK) plate Model S which had unplugged my charger and left it at the rear of my car and subsequently plugged in his/her own charger into the socket. I had 50% charge so I was ok and didn't have far to get home, but it annoyed me for a few reasons:

1. I left dinner early because of the warning
  2. My charger was just unplugged directly from the wall in mid charge
  3. No note was left. Now, I get it if you are driving to New York overnight. However, there is a supercharger 15 miles each way of that location. Leave me a damn note, I would.

Basically its rude that's what my conclusion is.

I could post a photo of the offending S but I wont....

Sorry to hear that. I'm surprised that an out of state driver would even bother going to Tysons given the proximity to the Bethesda supercharger. I take it all the charging spots were taken. If they weren't than that makes it even more absurd.

Last edited:
This is giving me flashbacks to college, and shared laundry facilities :(

I think it's a tad more than rude, and frankly I don't know how someone without a serious personality disorder would even consider doing something like this. I definitely would have left a note...and a scathing one at that.

So left work earlier today and decided to stop by Tysons Mall (Virginia) and parked in the designated Tesla parking that has HPWC (tesla store has parking for about 6 Tesla's in a secure location with two HPWC and 1-2 40A wall sockets). There were four spaces taken so I took one of the remaining and then used the 40A wall socket and my own charger to plug in.

I then went and ran some errands at the mall that I needed to do and then met my wife and Kids for dinner (they drove out on their own due to it being a snow day). Towards the end of the dinner I received a notice that charging had been interrupted, so I promptly left my wife and kids and went back to the car. What I found was an out of state (NEW YORK) plate Model S which had unplugged my charger and left it at the rear of my car and subsequently plugged in his/her own charger into the socket. I had 50% charge so I was ok and didn't have far to get home, but it annoyed me for a few reasons:

1. I left dinner early because of the warning
  2. My charger was just unplugged directly from the wall in mid charge
  3. No note was left. Now, I get it if you are driving to New York overnight. However, there is a supercharger 15 miles each way of that location. Leave me a damn note, I would.

Basically its rude that's what my conclusion is.

I could post a photo of the offending S but I wont....

Well I am impressed. AMPUP, your reaction was so cool:cool:

Uncool act like the one you described exposes the offending car to a great risk of being keyed. The driver obviously did not have such concerns.

Maybe there is some innocent explanation, although it seems unlikely. Maybe the driver did not have a piece of paper handy:wink: Or just run out to get a paper and missed you...And there were a few toddlers that badly needed toilet, who knows...

Most likely explanation of such weird behaviour is that there may have been a number of contributing factors that resulted in a strange behaviour. Sometimes we all get out of our minds due to being preoccupied or distracted. Not trying to excuse, just trying to understand...

It seems that even road rage or Tesla unplug rage is evolving into more civilised forum discussions, rather than escalating into a gun fight.

Contrast that with this road rage: Teen arrested in road rage.

Meyers was giving her teen daughter a driving lesson when the girl honked at a speeding car. The encounter escalated quickly, and it didn't end when the mother and daughter returned home. Meyers and her gun-toting 22-year-old son reportedly went out in search of the suspect, and they were standing in the family's driveway when he pulled up and opened fire.

If I didn't have a piece of paper I would have posted quickly on TMC and preempted the inevitable roast :)
You think they would have seen your post here?
From my travels, I'd say 10% of owners, at most, read these or any other Tesla forums.
Most owners are "drivers", little more; and want nothing to do with socializing except for maybe bumping into their peers at a SC and exchanging a handshake.
Or maybe it's my BO?
Can't say I blame them.