Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some P85Ds being delivered with non-staggered wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My P85D arrived today and it does NOT have staggered tires. The rears and the fronts are now 245/35/21 Continental ContiSportContact 5. These cost more than the Michelins on Tire Rack.

Right. The "S" have a foam liner on the inside to reduce noise. This liner has to be installed after the vulcanization is done, so it's an extra step--hence more expensive.

Any more updates on what wheel people get on the P85D?
Really hope my car is delivered with staggered wheels and PS2. The staggered setup and 265 tires in the rear was the reason i did choose the 21 wheel package.

The Continental ContiSportContact 5 Silent tire is about a $405+ tire per in the USA retail, no delivery or taxes in that price.
Note that there are two versions of that tire, the more expensive is the Silent version, the other version is not the silent version and is somewhat less expensive.

The ContiSportContact 245/35 has a tread width of 8.3". The Pilot Sport 2 265/35 has a tread width of 9.7". Which one would you prefer on your 691 HP 5000 lb. sedan?

1. Given the same pressure, the contact area will be the same on both tires.

2. On anything other than dry pavement, the narrower tire will have superior performance.

PS2 is the king on wet so I dont think so...
A PS2 19" tire would be better in wet than a PS2 21" tire. If the tire isn't the same, then all bets are off. (And sometimes even the same model of tire isn't the same in different sizes.) My bad for not putting "all things being equal" in the previous post.

20150116_130808045_iOS.jpg

I finally picked up my P85D the other day (had recycled the order from last year because I wanted it delivered with the new seats). Was surprised when I looked at the 21" tires this morning and saw four identical Conti's. A search on "not staggered" brought me here. I suppose with the P85D's weight more evenly biased thanks to its front motor, it gives Tesla an excuse not to stagger. When these tires wear out I am inclined to get Pilot SuperSports. I have them on another car and love the performance.