Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Roadster #116, thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I just put a deposit on Roadster #116:
REDUCED! 2008 Tesla Roadster #116 - Black with Red Accent painting! 6K miles. AWESOME CAR!!

I'll fly out to complete the sale. I'll grab the logs while I'm there and take a look.

Still trying to confirm what options are on the car. My list, based on the seller's description:

Premium Carbon Fiber and Leather Interior$9,000
Clear Carbon Fiber Accent Group$9,000
Electronics Group$3,000
Floor mats$150
Paint Armor$1,495
black forged wheels$2,300
110 Cable$480
The seller said Executive Leather as well, but I'm not sure if that was an option on the 2008. What do you think?

Any other pre-sale checks to complete? I'm arranging pickup with Plycar.

Thanks!

The seller said Executive Leather as well, but I'm not sure if that was an option on the 2008. What do you think?

Here is an old thread on Executive leather as it pertained to one of the first 2010 2.0 cars delivered:
Executive Leather option

Perhaps someone had the interior upgraded 'after the fact' not on the original order?

Do they have the original Monroney sticker showing the original options and prices?

Here is one version of the old pricing spec sheet:
roadster-options.png

Last edited:
No window sticker it seems.

Yeah, I agree, probably not executive leather.

Premium Carbon Fiber and Leather Interior probably included the seats and interior CF bits.
Clear Carbon Fiber Accent Group - outside CF bits, although some of them are painted over...

Seems like it is painted.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is an old thread on Executive leather as it pertained to one of the first 2010 2.0 cars delivered:
Executive Leather option

Perhaps someone had the interior upgraded 'after the fact' not on the original order?

Do they have the original Monroney sticker showing the original options and prices?

Here is one version of the old pricing spec sheet:
View attachment 72720

Was the base price for the 2008 $92k and the 2010 $109k?

I hope that Roadster is everything you expect it to be. In reading the description in the ad I noted a few things. The ad says:
-------------
This model came fully loaded with every possible upgrade imaginable:

-Soft top
-Exterior Carbon Fiber Kit ($9000)
-Interior Carbon Fiber Kit ($4000)
-Black forged wheel set ($3200)
-Roadster Spare Connector ($480)
-Tesla Paint Armor
-Tires
Front: Yokohama Advan A08 (70% tread remaining)
Rear: Michelin Pilot Super Sport (Just put on a month ago)
---------

The soft top is not an "upgrade". It is standard.

The photos show very little of the interior but one photo shows the sills which are not carbon fiber. But didn't the "Interior Carbon Fiber Kit" include carbon fiber sill covers?

The exterior photos don't seem to show any of the exterior carbon fiber pieces. Maybe they were painted over by the custom paint job?

The front tires listed in the ad are stated the to be the Advan A08 but I thought those weren't available in the necessary size for use on the front?

I have actually seen this car, as it is right down the street from me. Theo has a stellar reputation, and the car is pristine. I have made sure that he keeps it plugged in, and he is a great guy, and gives his word, and sticks with it. It IS two toned, and it looks factory. Give us the run down when you get it, and how it worked out !!

The soft top is not an "upgrade". It is standard.

The photos show very little of the interior but one photo shows the sills which are not carbon fiber. But didn't the "Interior Carbon Fiber Kit" include carbon fiber sill covers?

The exterior photos don't seem to show any of the exterior carbon fiber pieces. Maybe they were painted over by the custom paint job?

The front tires listed in the ad are stated the to be the Advan A08 but I thought those weren't available in the necessary size for use on the front?

Thanks for your help!

I have a few more photos:
Dropbox - TX Car

It looks like the door sills are carbon fiber.
I can see carbon fiber on the spoiler and front lip, but not too much else.

The front tires look like Yokohama ADVAN A048 195/50r16
The rear tires look like kumho ecsta 4x 225/45/zr17
Not great tires?

Not really a car check, but make sure you get a connector for higher voltage charging - 120 V is inadequate for most people.

hcsharp here on TMC makes an adapter for Roadster to connect to J1772 ("the Can JR") and another to connect to the Model S style mobile and wall connector ("the Can SR"). Tesla offers a J1772 adapter fr Roadster, and may still have some Roadster universal mobile connector or wall connectors, although everything going forward is expected to be in Model S format.

If I was buying a Roadster that did not come with a Roadster HPC I would buy a Model S HPWC and Henry's CAN SR adaptor. That will be about $1,600 together and then you need to pay an electrician to wire up the HPWC. Well worth it.

And with Henry's adaptor you will be able to charge at HPWC's at Tesla Service Centers and showrooms and at the growing number of destinations that are installing them.

The alternative is to buy a Clipper Creek J1772 charger and Henry's CAN JR adaptor. Also a good way to go.

If I was buying a Roadster that did not come with a Roadster HPC I would buy a Model S HPWC and Henry's CAN SR adaptor. That will be about $1,600 together and then you need to pay an electrician to wire up the HPWC. Well worth it.

And with Henry's adaptor you will be able to charge at HPWC's at Tesla Service Centers and showrooms and at the growing number of destinations that are installing them.

The alternative is to buy a Clipper Creek J1772 charger and Henry's CAN JR adaptor. Also a good way to go.

I would suggest that an alternative is to get a Model S UMC ( mobile adapter ) and Henry's CAN SR adapter.

Yes that is certainly a reasonable and less expensive alternative, though that will limit you to charging at 40A whereas the two choices I suggested will allow charging at up to 70A.
I have a HPWC ... At my parent house 200 miles away. I have no need for high power charging at home. I'm reasonably content with my MC240 at 30 amps, but the CanSR and a 40A model S charger is tempting.

Good idea. I'm in an apartment building with a NEMA 14-50 outlet for the next few years, so I'll have to stick with the Model S mobile connector + CAN SR.

Any thoughts on the paint scheme?