Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fabric wheel well liner installation tips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up a set of the fabric wheel well liners for my Roadster 2.0, to replace the stock plastic ones. For anyone who's installed them or had them installed, do they just install using the same hardware as the plastic ones? Any tips or gotchas to be known about the installation process? It seems like it should be very straightforward. Thanks!

I just picked up a set of the fabric wheel well liners for my Roadster 2.0, to replace the stock plastic ones. For anyone who's installed them or had them installed, do they just install using the same hardware as the plastic ones? Any tips or gotchas to be known about the installation process? It seems like it should be very straightforward. Thanks!

If you explain to me the hardware used to secure the plastic liners I can tell you if it is the same that is used to secure my fabric ones.

It is a small bracket that is epoxied to the inside of the wheel well. The fabric liner then sits between the inside of the fender and this bracket.

Sound familiar?

I think when I got mine the Ranger had to glue on the brackets, 2-3 per wheel I believe. Not hard; but you need a special adhesive for the carbon fiber I was told.

Epoxy putty. All of mine have fallen off. I asked Tesla Service to replace them at my last annual but they said they didn't have the parts. You could buy a strip of aluminum at Home Cheapo and make the parts faster than it would take to order them.

Epoxy putty. All of mine have fallen off. I asked Tesla Service to replace them at my last annual but they said they didn't have the parts. You could buy a strip of aluminum at Home Cheapo and make the parts faster than it would take to order them.

For reference, their documentation recommends using Betaseal 0°ne or Betaseal 1701 along with the matched cleaning and priming products, Betaclean 3900, Betaprime 5404a. However, I'd imagine any decent epoxy would work fine ...

Can you tell me where you got the wheel well liners and how much you paid for them? I'm considering adding those to my 1.5.

Also, my HPWC is installed next to two 1931 Fords. Those are certainly a different driving experience.

Can you tell me where you got the wheel well liners and how much you paid for them? I'm considering adding those to my 1.5.

Also, my HPWC is installed next to two 1931 Fords. Those are certainly a different driving experience.

I just asked my local service center to order them for me, and they did without any hesitation. The Model As certainly are quite a bit different to drive. Similar steering effort required though. :)

You two should thoroughly consider protecting your fabric liners in "Smart Fabric" by GTechniq. One of the best fabric protections out there (in my professional opinion). Bonding with the fabric instead of coating the surface of it. Give the liner a thorough spray. Let dry. Do a second coat, let dry. Install. I would avoid rainy or wet situations for 24 hrs to be safe, but it usually cures fully over night for me. For plastic wells, try 2 coats of "Ceramic Pro Light" or "Exo". I still use Exo, but I have been getting great results from "CP Light" as well. Proper protection is the first step in proper maintenance for tough spots like that. I just back from Minnesota last night explaining this to a few snow birds up there. I saw a lot of rusty wells on the road!

My fabric liners are in terrible shape from snow and ice buildup and we are thinking of going back to the hard plastic liners and will try adding some soundproofing to the top side.

I've wondered about that, but we have very little frozen stuff here to worry about. I'll give them a shot, but I guess hang onto the plastic ones just in case.

Last edited:
It's just not as easy, but you can definitely do it. The big part would be cleaning it first (the prep). If it were me, I would pull the wheels. Clean the area with a safe de-greaser and pressure to get all the grime out. Wait until its completely dry (hot filtered air will speed up the process). Then lay down a solid spray over the area, roll the area after a couple minutes with a little paint roller or use a small clean dry brush to fluff the fibers up and let some of the solution to sit deeper into the nap. Wait until its dry. Lay on another coat or two. I usually only brush the fibers once.

If you want to get fancy, you can buy an air compressor machine and cheap airbrush kit to apply it. I don't notice a huge difference between the two processes, but it is cooler. :cool:

What about if it's already installed is there a problem coating it installed???

- - - Updated - - -

It may not be worth while if you can't pull the wheels. I am sure you can get the nozzle to have a good mist back there, but longevity/effectiveness wouldn't be worth the time. It needs to be thoroughly cleaned and then protected.

What about if it's already installed is there a problem coating it installed???

• Informative
Reactions: Mark77a
I just picked up fabric wheel liners from the TSC for ~$350. They didn't come with any brackets. Do I need to get brackets or are the screws from the plastic wheel liners sufficient? I'll get the fabric spray. I'd appreciate any other installation tips.

Last edited:
My car had the fabric wheel liners from the start. About half the brackets fell off and the other half are still there. I don't think the brackets make any difference. The liners are mostly held on by several bolts and a few removable plastic rivets.