Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Routing based on traffic without asking. Preemptive Smart Routing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning when I got in my P85D I got a popup on my navigation that my usual way to work may be slower due to traffic.
What is interesting is that:

1. I never told my car I was going to work, this happened all by itself.
2. I was not asking for any directions anywhere.
3. I do not have Smart Conditioning on either.

Has anyone received a popup about traffic, maybe based on usual routines, like going to work? Without asking for directions?

It also, apparently, watches your calendar. I had put in an appointment with an adress on my phone's calendar for my son's ski training. As we sat in the car, without me having entered anything in to the navigation system, I suddenly got a pop-up with a suggestion: take this route and you will save 3 minutes on your way to [the adress that was tied to the appointment]. Pretty neat feature.

Yep. If you have saved your home and work locations, if you leave from home on a weekday morning it will assume you're headed to work and offer advice. Same for leaving from work in the evening. As Johan said they have recently added calendar integration if you're using the latest version of the app.

Thanks! I did not know this. Cool feature. Unless it tells me to save time to route me to my mistress....lol....

Once again, I will point out that the Tesla Model S did not win the "best product - marital infedelity" consumer award. In fact, it scores very low, with remove app access and such. My wife knows if I want to take the GTO or the Mustang that she should be concerned.

• Funny
Reactions: Festerfeet
The "commute advice" feature is a crude attempt to provide advice to owners on better routes. It doesn't work for me, since I have multiple work locations - so the car can't predict where I'm driving, unless I provide a route.

This could be a useful feature. Some improvements to consider - option to disable this feature (so I don't have to clear it when it guesses the wrong destination) and the ability for it to ask if a route should be provided to the next appointment on the calendar, if the location and time indicate that's the likely destination.

Some improvements to consider - option to disable this feature (so I don't have to clear it when it guesses the wrong destination) ..

From the manual:

Model S detects real-time traffic conditions and automatically adjusts the estimated driving and arrival times based on traffic conditions. In situations where traffic conditions will delay your estimated time of arrival and an alternate route is available,Model S reroutes you to your destination.

You can turn this feature off by touching Controls > Settings > Apps > Maps &Navigation > Traffic-Based Routing > Off.

Yep. If you have saved your home and work locations, if you leave from home on a weekday morning it will assume you're headed to work and offer advice. Same for leaving from work in the evening. As Johan said they have recently added calendar integration if you're using the latest version of the app.
Yep! Back before you could save multiple locations, the only way I could save my dacha was to call it work. Then, every morning, it would try to send me to work! Seeing as I'm semi-retired, that ruined my morning! Thank goodness now remembers more locations.

The "commute advice" feature is a crude attempt to provide advice to owners on better routes. It doesn't work for me, since I have multiple work locations - so the car can't predict where I'm driving, unless I provide a route.

This could be a useful feature. Some improvements to consider - option to disable this feature (so I don't have to clear it when it guesses the wrong destination) and the ability for it to ask if a route should be provided to the next appointment on the calendar, if the location and time indicate that's the likely destination.

I wouldn't call it a "crude" attempt. It works very well for us, I am sorry it doesn't work as well for you.
As pointed out already, you can turn that off.

We have seen the reroute both when going to work and when going to appointments that are in our calander.
Absolutely amazing, I've never seen this type of prediction navigation before.

My previous Lexus car (8 years ago) had real-time traffic - and did dynamic re-routing. Plus, it warned of upcoming traffic issues on the route.

The real-time traffic data was more limited - was available only on the major highways - inside major cities.

The Tesla software has much more data to work with - and hopefully future software updates will provide more access to that in the navigation interface.

My previous Lexus car (8 years ago) had real-time traffic - and did dynamic re-routing. Plus, it warned of upcoming traffic issues on the route.

The real-time traffic data was more limited - was available only on the major highways - inside major cities.

The Tesla software has much more data to work with - and hopefully future software updates will provide more access to that in the navigation interface.

I'm curious, because I have never heard of another car that did this, did your Lexus reroute you even when there was no destination in Navigation?

Yes, this is called "commute advice" and was introduced in 6.0. During morning and afternoon hours, it watches traffic on routes that you regularly drive.

I understood that it was just your 'home' and 'work' saved locations...I don't believe it's looking at routes you usually take, just making assumptions that in the morning, you go to the 'work' favorite and in the evening, you go to the 'home' one. I wish it were more configurable than that; I work different hours than most, for example, so I'll occasionally get advice when I'm doing a short local errand that just happens to be in the late afternoon...but I rarely leave work before 8 PM.

From the manual:

Model S detects real-time traffic conditions and automatically adjusts the estimated driving and arrival times based on traffic conditions. In situations where traffic conditions will delay your estimated time of arrival and an alternate route is available,Model S reroutes you to your destination.

You can turn this feature off by touching Controls > Settings > Apps > Maps &Navigation > Traffic-Based Routing > Off.

Are you sure this applies to the kind of routing suggestion the OP was talking about? Because it sounds like there's at least a chance that this might only apply to routes programmed into the nav system.

I'm curious, because I have never heard of another car that did this, did your Lexus reroute you even when there was no destination in Navigation?

Rerouting without a destination is new for the Tesla software - and could be a cool feature, it the accuracy of guessing the next destination is good. [Until then, I'll turn it off on my car, because it's rarely right.]

As I recall, the Lexus software warned about upcoming traffic restrictions - how far to the restriction - and what the restriction was caused by. Tesla could do something like this in the navigation software - such as adding notes to the turn list - show segments that have restricted traffic flow.

The 6.x releases are a nice improvement - and hopefully we'll continue to see more features added to the navigation software - especially if that's going to be coupled with the new autopilot features.

Rerouting without a destination is new for the Tesla software - and could be a cool feature, it the accuracy of guessing the next destination is good. [Until then, I'll turn it off on my car, because it's rarely right.]

As I recall, the Lexus software warned about upcoming traffic restrictions - how far to the restriction - and what the restriction was caused by. Tesla could do something like this in the navigation software - such as adding notes to the turn list - show segments that have restricted traffic flow.

The 6.x releases are a nice improvement - and hopefully we'll continue to see more features added to the navigation software - especially if that's going to be coupled with the new autopilot features.

For us, the accuracy has been almost perfect. If your work/home schedule is odd I suppose that would explain part of it. The non work/home guidances, without Nav on, are based on your calander events so they are as accurate as your calander.

While I am driving, I don't want that level of detail. If I can save a few minutes (or whatever number of minutes I set the slider to) just tell me the new route.

I have found issues if I set the "time saved" slider to the minimum it will occasionally route me off the highway and immediately back on. I found this annoying so I did dial up the time saved setting.

Are you sure this applies to the kind of routing suggestion the OP was talking about? Because it sounds like there's at least a chance that this might only apply to routes programmed into the nav system.

The GUI controls to turn it off were added at the same time the traffic-based routing (and thus the pop-up the OP describes) were introduced in the system, so I'm 94.393% sure it applies.

So...I just had this experience and searched out this thread. I only see one slight nuance that I didn't see mentioned in the thread. I don't have a work location set. I do have the other options to enable this capability turned on. So here is what happened. I drive to a location about 40 mi from where I live every couple of weeks, and I usually mark the appt on my calendar. Today as I got onto a major area beltway, the Nav app alerted me to route problem that would interfere with my destination, and offered me an alternate route. Note, I did not have exact address in my calendar - only the city. And I didn't have it as an active route in the Nav app. The only thing I can say is WOW!

How does it get your information from the calendar? Which calendar? I use Apple's calendar on my iPhone