Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi signal reception when car is dirty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

invisik

Supporting Member
Mar 13, 2014
Minneapolis
Hi all,

Ok, this is kinda weird, but I've been noticing that when my car's exterior is clean, the wifi has better signal strength. At my office, my indoor parking spot is on the fringe of a wifi signal. On days when the car is dirty, it won't connect. When it's clean, it will connect.

Could dirt (with a coating of road salt too) interfere enough with the wifi signal that it could make a difference?

-m

In theory, yes. However in practice (I worked for a WiFi hardware company for the last 10 years) I've never seen it make a material difference in signal strength. But if your signal is really that marginal it's definitely possible. Do you park in the same spot all the time? Do you park differently when the car is dirty vs clean?

And what do you mean by "connect?" If the car is clean you'll get the WiFi icon instead of the 3G and if it's dirty it only displays the 3G icon?

Hi,

I've experimented with parking different ways (head in, back in, pulling up different distances, etc). My best success so far has been head in and stopping when the parking sensor distance indicator lines move in twice.

I think the icon may change to the wireless icon, but will only have 1 dot and essentially can't get out on that little signal. 3G doesn't work in the garage at all.

-m