Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guess A Tesla isn't in the cards for me, this time around

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 16 year old 5 series BMW station wagon. 540iT that is nearing replacement time. As an EE the S is very intriguing to me and would be a perfect functional replacement for the wagon, our larger car (I do not like/want an SUV). I have been lurking on the boards for a year educating myself as to pros/cons. But with a car that costs more than our first house, and 2X more than I ever spent on a car before, it's a hard sell to the Significant Other. Probably the largest obstacle is while I am am willing to have an early adopter experience, the SO, not so much. For whatever would occur, and we know there will be plenty, I would be frequently be reminded of the cost. Be it a fit/finish issue, 12V battery issue, high cost of body repairs (if something should happen), having to travel a little further or spend a little extra time to use a supercharger, etc.

I looked at other BEVs, but with our common trips to visit family being 100, 200 or 320 miles in a day, NO other BEV today is viable. So looks like this time around the BMW will be replace with another ICE BMW (3 Series GT is high on the list). I am hoping for when when we look to replace our smaller car in a few years (currently a BMW 335D) the Tesla model 3 will be ready. More affordable, more mainstream. So Tesla, don't slip the release date of the 3, I do not have that many more driving years left to buy one!

"Cost" is all relative. Over time there are more benefits to being an early adopter than waiting. That's a cost too. :)

Why don't u shop around for an inventory model s? I hear they can be as low as $65k after rebate, which is not that much more than a 3 GT.

Wise decision. Financial stress is the co-leading cause of marital problems and divorce (shared with wives not too happy about their husband's extra-curricular sexual activity). Seeing numerous couples go through stuff I long ago decided that no toy was worth it. I held off buying a Tesla for a number of years. I was on the list for a roadster early on and then chose to give it up, mostly due to my wife's nervousness when manufacturing started and my number came up. Fast forward 7 years. My wife gave me a P85D for Christmas and I think she's more excited about seeing me pick it up than I am.

The best way to get your SO onboard, I say from experience, is too involve them. Go for a test drive and let them drive first. Let them ask their own questions. Then do look at a used one so the financial hit is more reasonable. Make sure you and your SO do the math on TCO, so you both realize this is not quite so crazy as it first seems.

Good luck!

For me, the car was probably 50% more than any other car I'd purchased, and probably more than double what I may have otherwise purchased. For me, though, I looked at the total cost and when fuel was factored in, the Tesla actually costs a tiny bit less than my last ICE (a Cadillac CTS that was around $60k the way I had it optioned out). I do have a roughly 100 mile round-trip commute and do about 21,000 miles annually, so that helped with my math. I was spending about $80 in gasoline every 4 days before the Model S.

Maintenance costs should be lower (we'll see) but surprising (at least to me) was the fact that my insurance was lower than what I paid on the Caddy.

If you are worried about the "I told you so" comments every time something happens or every time you have to stop and charge, you probably made the right decision. Indeed, almost every time something serious has happened with the car, my wife has been with me, and it's no picnic. And while my wife likes what Tesla is doing (I get the sense maybe your wife isn't all that interested in Tesla, which will only make it worse), there is no doubt she's thinking that a car at this price point (or even any car) shouldn't be this flaky -- can't say I disagree either.

Enjoy the BMW for the next round. I have every confidence Tesla will still be here when you're ready for the next car. By then, you won't be a beta tester - I hope.

Wise decision. Financial stress is the co-leading cause of marital problems and divorce (shared with wives not too happy about their husband's extra-curricular sexual activity). Seeing numerous couples go through stuff I long ago decided that no toy was worth it. I held off buying a Tesla for a number of years. I was on the list for a roadster early on and then chose to give it up, mostly due to my wife's nervousness when manufacturing started and my number came up. Fast forward 7 years. My wife gave me a P85D for Christmas and I think she's more excited about seeing me pick it up than I am.

LOL... My wife and kids were sold on the Model S way before I was. Guess I'm lucky.

BTW, kbsilver, I grew up in NJ. There are SCs in Paramus, Edison and Hamilton. Plus they are adding 2 more on the Turnpike. I'm not sure where you are taking these trips, but if you install a charger at home that should take care most situations.

Why don't u shop around for an inventory model s? I hear they can be as low as $65k after rebate, which is not that much more than a 3 GT.

Exactly my suggestion. You can get into an AWD or Autopilot-enabled newish car at a decent discount, and you can interrogate Tesla Motors to find the car you want. (it may be some distance away but at least you can buy it)

Alternatively, consider a used car... don't forget, they don't "wear down" in the same way that ICE cars do. My P85 accelerates the same today as it did on the day I first got it.

Here is a Tesla Model S for $68K:
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=08514&endYear=2016&modelCode1=TESMODS&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&makeCode1=TESLA&searchRadius=300&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=%5BTESLA%5BTESMODS%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=391485107&Log=0

Here is a BMW 328GT for $56K:
2015 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo for sale in Allentown - WBA3X5C54FD560244 - Daniels BMW

It won't be long before you've spent $13K in gasoline, especially with 22MPG in the city. (ugh) Only upside to the BMW is that it's AWD, which might sway you at this particular juncture! It has the same rear cargo capacity, but no frunk.

Wow, I was just expressing my current status and was not expecting all these great responses, within 30 minutes no less. We've both test drove the S, and we both were amazed. But then BMWs are not a piece of junk either. I know there is some savings on inventory cars, but not enough to make that kind of difference. Don't think you will find an 85kw model for $65K. I've looked at the used market and maybe all the sellers are on something, but after factoring in the $7500 rebate that I would get on a new one, not much to be saved for getting a used model, without the updated features, that probably needs tires as well.

Price aside, there is still the early adopter experience. Out of driving 2 BMWs for well over a decade, we've only been towed once (trans failure in our wagon). I'm the one who is intrigued by technology and am looking forward to the entire experience, the SO, not so much.

Unfortunately the whole TCO math does not work out in my favor. Our 335D averages 30+ MPG, with over 40 on the highway. I do a lot of my own maintenance and our current cars (except for that trans failure) have been inexpensive to maintain. I knew early on the additional purchase cost of a Tesla would never be covered by reduced maintenance (we're still not sure on this one) and reduced energy cost. Looking at a modern efficient car, even a $4/gal your spending $16K per 100K miles on fuel. And home charging electricity is not free. Takes 200K+ miles in energy savings to cover the additional purchase price of the Tesla.

For WW73, I know where all the superchargers are in my area, that's not an issue (would charge at home anyway), it's the trips where they are not always on the path we would normally have taken.

For MartinAustin, nearly $70K for a car with 40K miles is still a lot of $$. Considering after the $7500 rebate the one I would option would end up costing about $86K, wouldn't you spend that extra $18K for one with 0 miles, new features, new battery and new tires?

While I never considered AWD important (don't have it now) the past 2 winters in NJ has me thinking!!

Last edited:
The Tesla was more than 2X what I had spent on any of my previous cars.
My wife was on board with it. The finances worked in my favor since I do a lot of driving and was paying $400/month on gas.
So now, I spend $40 / month on electricity. I think you would see the total cost of ownership to be lower. I have only paid for one service visit in 10 months.

But I agree with others here that have said a car is not worth getting a divorce over. Hopefully you can catch the model 3 when it comes out!

.../ While I never considered AWD important (don't have it now) the past 2 winters in NJ has me thinking!!
I assume you use proper winter tires and not the ‘all-weather’ ones.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m (also) assuming you can afford a Model S. Otherwise I can’t see a Model S being an option.

So…

Do you have kids?

Grandkids?

If the kind of cost-calculations mknox demonstrates above in post #6 doesn’t work, then I can really only think of one argument that can get your SO on board:

Man Made Global Warming (Anthropogenic Global Warming).

For example: The Global Mean Sea Level is about 23 cm/9 inches higher today than in 1880. (Source: :: Sea-level Rise :: CSIRO ACECRC ::)

This argument has worked before on TMC:

Here:

Racked with indecision... - Page 4

…starting at post #39.

And here:

Can't decide between Model S or Audi S6 - Page 6

…starting at post #60.

Just a heads up…

I evidently was a little more – shall we say – ‘in your face’ back then, almost two and a half years ago…

I assume you use proper winter tires and not the ‘all-weather’ ones.
Yes I do!! But only on one car, the other stays in the garage during bad weather. There were many winters I did not even have to put them on. But not lately....

Responding to update: I have a very young grandchild, and I know a baby seat would work nicely in the back of the S. In regards to the save the earth arguments, I'm all for it! But (putting up force field now) I work for a major oil company :scared:

Last edited:
I remember reading some TCO spreadsheets and it put the Model S at about the same as a $50k car. I can believe that as we did a minimum spec car too. It's not only the gas savings but also the oil changes, services, etc. You also have to consider you'll get more on resale with a higher price car so you don't have to make up all the difference in gas, oil changes, and services. Another point for us was the 8 year unlimited power train and battery warranty. We like to dive!

Consumer Report's predicted reliability of the 3-series is lower than that of the Model S. (No, CR ratings are not perfect; and of course predicting anything is fraught with danger. But they are way better than anything else out there. Scanning forums gets you nothing as car forums have disproportionate numbers of problem posts). I don't think a BMW will be any less likely to have problems, although I agree you may be less likely to get blamed for the problem if it's with a BMW instead of a Tesla.

Every time you press the pedal of the Model S and it responds instantly and silently, your wife will than you for not buying an ICE. Every time you walk out to a fully-charged car and don't have to go to the gas station, your wife will thank you for not buying an ICE. Every time you use a Supercharger for free rather than paying for gas, your wife will thank you. Every time you use the extra space in the car due to the superior packaging, your wife will thank you. As the economy and environment improve, she will thank you for buying a cleaner, domestic vehicle and being part of the solution rather than the problem.

There are plenty of good reasons to not buy a Model S. It's too big, you can't afford it, it's your only car and there aren't Superchargers where you need to go, etc. And they are selling all they can make, so I am not trying to talk you in to something you don't want to do; it won't make a difference in the larger picture. But I think some of the things mentioned here are only looking at one half of the coin. The Model S has, by far, the highest satisfaction rating that any car has ever had. That means you are almost guaranteed to be happy with your purchase - in any event, you are more likely to love it than if you buy another car. My wife sure the heck resisted trying something new, but now there is no way I could talk her back in to a gas car. You have to try one to know how nice it is.

Last edited:
Not only cost, but there are chargers EVERYWHERE! People, very much like you, are quick to dismiss EVs because their "trips" are longer than the battery will get them there. First of all, is that your ONLY car? I would bet not. Second, you need to look at the placement of superchargers.

I'm still completely baffled why anyone would purchase any other car for > $50k that is NOT a Tesla. It's a no brainer if you have the $.

Consumer Report's predicted reliability of the 3-series is lower than that of the Model S. (No, CR ratings are not perfect; and of course predicting anything is fraught with danger. But they are way better than anything else out there. Scanning forums gets you nothing as car forums have disproportionate numbers of problem posts). I don't think a BMW will be any less likely to have problems, although I agree you may be less likely to get blamed for the problem if it's with a BMW instead of a Tesla.
We've had 3 model 3's in the family so for. All have been very reliable with minimal issue outside of warranty. My son has my original 3 (E46 328i) with 200K miles. Engine has never been touched, doesn't burn a drop of oil, still has the original clutch! But I have been told the newer engines, especially with turbocharging do not hold up this way anymore.

I know an S will be very reliable. But when something does happen (including being stupid and not managing your charge level) the result often ends up on a flatbed, not to mention the raking over the coals by the SO, regardless of how much she enjoys driving it. As I said I'm all in for the BEV, early adopter experience, having to stop off the path for charging, but not the SO, at least at the cost of admission. Thus the dilemma.

I do question the TCO spreadsheets, in many cases they seem to favor the originator 'wanting' it to work. Unless you are currently driving an absolute pig that gets like 8 MPG, it's just not there in any reasonable amount of time. I do realize the TCO is somewhat location sensitive. NJ has the second lowest gas tax in the nation, but relatively high electric costs. There are also maintenance costs, it's not zero. No one discusses what happens if/when a battery is needed out of warranty. My take is when that time comes, they should have come dramatically down in price.

chriSharek - Yes, we can always take the ICE for longer trips. But if we end up doing that all the time, what's the point of the BEV? Hey I'm looking for that angle to "sell" the idea to my SO that I have not already thought of. I am astounded at how far Tesla has come in less than 10 years, but remember all the ICE competition has had a century or more to work on their vehicles.

Agreed. Mine was a Birthday present from my wife.