Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Facing Child Seat Height on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read all the posts here regarding the rear facing child seats and I know that these seats are for kids at least 37" tall and up to 77lbs but can someone who has children sitting in these seats tell me how much headroom there is for the kids? How tall are your kids? I'm a little concerned with them hitting their heads on the back window if an accident happens and also if it is at all claustrophobic back there.

I'm currently on the fence between getting a Model S or putting in a reservation for the Model X as I will have my wife and three kids under 5 to consider. My 4 year old would now be big enough to sit in the rear facing car seats but if it's not going to be comfortable for her, it won't make sense for me to get an S. And putting three in the backseat of a sedan will be a hassle, especially the middle seat! I do know of the heat issues and sunlight issues but I haven't read much on headroom for the kids in the rear. If anyone has experiences here, can you chime in and share?

Thanks!

I read all the posts here regarding the rear facing child seats and I know that these seats are for kids at least 37" tall and up to 77lbs but can someone who has children sitting in these seats tell me how much headroom there is for the kids? How tall are your kids? I'm a little concerned with them hitting their heads on the back window if an accident happens and also if it is at all claustrophobic back there.

I'm currently on the fence between getting a Model S or putting in a reservation for the Model X as I will have my wife and three kids under 5 to consider. My 4 year old would now be big enough to sit in the rear facing car seats but if it's not going to be comfortable for her, it won't make sense for me to get an S. And putting three in the backseat of a sedan will be a hassle, especially the middle seat! I do know of the heat issues and sunlight issues but I haven't read much on headroom for the kids in the rear. If anyone has experiences here, can you chime in and share?

Thanks!

My 6 and 8 year old children (they turn 7 and 9 this year) ride in the rear-facing seats without problems; I'm 6'2" and my wife is 6'0", so we're not shorties. :)

The seats are rated for 86 lbs, if I recall correctly, and I'm guessing that about 10 years old would be the limit for them headroom-wise.

Good news is that later this year, the 8 year old will rotate out, giving up his spot to the 3-year-old. I think it's pretty awesome that my Model S replaced a Chevy Suburban for my family of 6.

Thanks for sharing! And yes, I would be in the same boat as you in that the Model S would be replacing an SUV. My wife doesnt want to get a minvan so I'm trying to encourage her to either keep one SUV and get a Model S or get a Model X when it comes out! And if it's a Model S, that rear facing child seat becomes important. At 6 and 8 years old, do you how much room inches wise do your kids have headroom wise from the window?

Thanks for sharing! And yes, I would be in the same boat as you in that the Model S would be replacing an SUV. My wife doesnt want to get a minvan so I'm trying to encourage her to either keep one SUV and get a Model S or get a Model X when it comes out! And if it's a Model S, that rear facing child seat becomes important. At 6 and 8 years old, do you how much room inches wise do your kids have headroom wise from the window?

When seated and strapped in properly, there's roughly 12" between face and window. The issue is less about the window and more about the headroom to the top of the roof just behind the hatch opening.

Last edited:
Oh wow! That is more room than I expected! The Tesla showroom that's close to me is going to get a demo in with rear facing seats so I'm curious to see how my little one likes it! Thanks for the info!

When seated and strapped in properly, there's roughly 12" between face and window. The issue is less about the window and more about the headroom to the top of the roof just behind the hatch opening.