Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D rear oil leak? WHAT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a oil leak in my 3 week old P85D. Looks like it if from the rear of the car. I left it sitting over the weekend and the is a 3 inch oil spot on the garage floor from the rear of the vehicle. Anyone else have this problem? I thought there wasn't any oil in this EV

Thanks

I have a oil leak in my 3 week old P85D. Looks like it if from the rear of the car. I left it sitting over the weekend and the is a 3 inch oil spot on the garage floor from the rear of the vehicle. Anyone else have this problem? I thought there wasn't any oil in this EV

Thanks

Well, there aren't routine oil changes, because the oil shouldn't get contaminated. However, the gears between the drive motor and differential (and the differential itself) are in an oil bath I believe. It's possible you have a leaking seal or porous housing. I'm sure Tesla will be happy to take care of it. I haven't read of another case like yours.
Walter

There is transmission fluid. It'll be very much like oil. Tesla only recommends changing it every 12 years or 150k miles so a lot of people don't realize that it's there. I have no idea what type of seal they have on the single speed transmission but that could be what's leaking. I'm sure they'll figure it out for you.

Reactions: Argonaut
There is transmission fluid. It'll be very much like oil. Tesla only recommends changing it every 12 years or 150k miles so a lot of people don't realize that it's there. I have no idea what type of seal they have on the single speed transmission but that could be what's leaking. I'm sure they'll figure it out for you.

Interesting! I'll have to make an appointment for an oil change in 2026.

Can you perhaps get the S up on a lift and check the transmission drain plug to make sure it is dry and not weeping?
At the same time you can probably check the seals and case for any sign of a leak....

Oh Oh.... (Car 54) .... just saw the movie GONE GIRL.... woooow... devious martial material in that flick... diabolic to say the least catch it if you can, also check out Coherence... amazing flic on alternate reality

In service right now, so I will update when I know the problem, thanks for the marriage consueling! What a forum, LOL

Can you perhaps get the S up on a lift and check the transmission drain plug to make sure it is dry and not weeping?
At the same time you can probably check the seals and case for any sign of a leak....

Oh Oh.... (Car 54) .... just saw the movie GONE GIRL.... woooow... devious martial material in that flick... diabolic to say the least catch it if you can, also check out Coherence... amazing flic on alternate reality

• Funny
Reactions: DDotJ