Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the difference in the Next gen seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a night and day difference for me! When I first sat in a Tesla, I loved it. But the main thing I felt that was lacking when compared to the other car we were considering (BMW 650i) were the seats! The original Tesla seats just don't hug you or make you feel secure. The next gen seats are an ABSOLUTE must if you're used to higher end sport seats from other luxury/sporty cars IMO. If the insane amount of power isn't enough to convince you to get the P85D, the seats would be the next thing that attracted me.

It was a night and day difference for me! When I first sat in a Tesla, I loved it. But the main thing I felt that was lacking when compared to the other car we were considering (BMW 650i) were the seats! The original Tesla seats just don't hug you or make you feel secure. The next gen seats are an ABSOLUTE must if you're used to higher end sport seats from other luxury/sporty cars IMO. If the insane amount of power isn't enough to convince you to get the P85D, the seats would be the next thing that attracted me.

Yes, "hug" is a great way to describe it. It's like you sit "on" the old seats, but you sit "in" the NextGen seats.

I have done 3 P85D test drives, 2 in next gen and one in the normal seats. The Next Gen seats are a distinct improvemnt over the normal seats. The side bolsters are more pronounced and as a result, you feel embraced on your sides by the seat. This translates to more lateral support for your body. You feel this lateral support in curves.

These are of course very subjective observations and not based upon long use... just a test drive. However, when I order my P85D it will have the Next Gen seats.

One other thing to note, the regular seat, on the driver side, has a small pocket in the front of it for storing small things in it. The two P85Ds with the Next Gen seats did not have this small pocket in the front of the drivers seat. Now perhaps later more recent models of the Next Gen seat may have that pocket but those on early P85Ds did not.

In addition, the bolsters in between each rear seating surface are more pronounced. The outside head rests in the rear are taller and it appeared to me that the center seat rear headrest is not quite as tall as the two outside seats.

Hope this helps?

I had a test drive this week in a P85D with Next Gen seats. After owning a Model S for over a year, the difference in the seats was striking. I think many people are overly focused on the improved side bolsters, which are great, but the seat base is also greatly improved, even more comfortable.

My next Model S has to have those seats. They are worth it.

Yes, "hug" is a great way to describe it. It's like you sit "on" the old seats, but you sit "in" the NextGen seats.

Exactly! Tesla should offer such a great improvement to other models not just the P85D. I'm sure everyone would go crazy for them after feeling the difference. I think they'll offer them eventually once they can satisfy all the demand they've been receiving from new P85D owners.

Exactly! Tesla should offer such a great improvement to other models not just the P85D. I'm sure everyone would go crazy for them after feeling the difference. I think they'll offer them eventually once they can satisfy all the demand they've been receiving from new P85D owners.

All indicators and rumors have pointed to this being the case. Hopefully they prove true and with any luck later this year. I really hope to order an 85D to arrive closer to EOY.

I test drove the P85D with NG seats and they are very sporty and nice to sit in....... but the lack of accent color piping is a major visual disappointment. My preference leans more towards cushier-luxury car (think S500) then sporty car, so I'd be torn to decide between the two. I've read you can get piping stitched into leather seats--that may be the ticket. :)

-m

I'm not sure why they've done away with the accent piping. It looked awesome! Either way though, the NG seats feel much better. Its worth sacrificing the looks in my opinion. Aside from the tech package, I'd say these seats are the next best option for the Model S!
I test drove the P85D with NG seats and they are very sporty and nice to sit in....... but the lack of accent color piping is a major visual disappointment. My preference leans more towards cushier-luxury car (think S500) then sporty car, so I'd be torn to decide between the two. I've read you can get piping stitched into leather seats--that may be the ticket. :)

-m

Last edited:

-m

A good upholstery person can do just about anything you want to a seat. Do not know what that would do to your warranty on the seat covering.

Some more questions on the next gen seats since now they're available for all models. I wonder if it is too late to change my order for Summer delivery.

1) Is the bottom surface of the seat softer or harder than the old seats?
2) some have compared the new seats to BMW seats and I find BMW seats very uncomfortable, they are stiff all around and base can hurt your butt on long trips, I have a constant back-ache on long trips. Are the next gen seats more like BMW or Mercedes/Lexus seats which are more plush?
3) Do the back seats of the next gen seats fold flat? I think Bjorn did a video and they didn't seem to. It would make it tough to use it for utility purposes if the back seats fold at an angle and are higher than the storage space.
4) Does the quality of leather seem better/upgraded or is the shape the only major improvement?

thanks,

-OL

In response to @Ohm'sLaw's question #1, IMO the Next Gen seat bases are slightly softer.

You really need to find a way to personally experience them and then I think you will want them if the added price is not a problem for you. I suggest a drive to the Tesla showroom in Short Hills NJ after you verify that they have a car available with the new seats (and I'm sure they do).

Last edited:
I preferred the standard leather seats to the NG seats for my 70D. Reason is I do not plan on racing etc but would be mostly cruising and I like to rest my elbow on the centre arm rest. With the NG seats the bolsters prevent you from doing this comfortably. I suppose ultimately you have to try them for yourself and decide.