Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v Battery Low - Car Needs Start - Pull over immediately

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess how my day is going? ;)

I'm at a coffee shop -- happily, with WiFi -- and waiting for a tow. Tesla says they'll be here in 2-3 hours. I'm planning a road trip from Pennsylvania to Denver next month. I'm thankful that this failure occurred while I was alone rather than with my wife and 4 year old!

- - - Updated - - -

Typo in the title - "Car Unable to Start" I think was the message. Doesn't look like I can edit titles, though. Oh well.

I got it recently. It wasn't the 12V in the end. The 12V failed because the power switch for the main battery failed, which kept the 12v from charging properly (I think -- not an expert). I gather there is more than one thing that can cause this, but plainly Tesla hasn't gotten them all sorted out yet.

{broken record} ... so sad the achilles heel of the Model S is a freakin stone age 12V battery.

As indicated above, this does not necessarily mean that the 12V battery is the cause, just the symptom. Anything that prevents power getting from the main battery, through the DC-DC convertor, to the 12V circuits can cause this. The 12V battery runs out of charge very quickly if the full 12V draw is on it, and it is not being re-charged from the HV battery.

How old is the car? There is another thread re: the 12 volt battery regarding proactive yearly replacement instead of waiting for failure. Apparently, as with other deep cycle batteries, the ability to recharge unavoidably diminishes with age.

I gather it is more typical for a warning to come up that the battery needs service. When I called I learned that it was not an emergency and we could schedule a replacement within a couple of weeks. When I went in for that service, the adviser explained that they were concerned the warning was coming up earlier than necessary. Sounds like they fixed that and now one doesn't get a warning at all? :=\