Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

COLORADO specific question on temp tags / plates.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't exactly understand the temp tag system - let's say my car got temp tags on 3/1 that expire 5/1. Does it matter when I go to the DMV and get real plates? Do I end up paying more in the long run if I get plates before 5/1?

The temp tag is $7 + all the other fees. You won't be losing out on much if you get your real plates ahead of the expiration date. Just make sure to bring your checkbook... the fee to use credit cards at the DMV will be huge on a car as expensive as your Model S.

Yeah I know that - I'm wondering more if I basically have free time with the temp tag - that I'm throwing away money if I get plates before the temp tag expires. Or, if they aren't stupid and you really are paying the same regardless when you get your plates because they base everything on date of purchase anyhow. I've heard conflicting reports that you save money if you ride out the temp tag date, or that it's the same.

You may have already gotten your answer at your delivery but I asked at mine yesterday and was told that your plan to wait until the end of the temporary does give you 2 free months. They don't prorate the time you had the temp tags. I set a reminder for myself to go in the day before they expire.

- - - Updated - - -

It has to do with the fact that they're not a dealer so they don't submit your car's registration information for you. The DMV finds out about your car when you take in the paperwork.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course, I'll report back here if I find that info to be wrong in 2 months.

Of course, I'll report back here if I find that info to be wrong in 2 months.

Turns out they were wrong (figures). The DMV does charge starting at the purchase date. It shows up under "Prior OT" so it is in addition to the year that starts on the day you register.

470 didn't charge me at all even though I did put the temp tag on my account. I guess they couldn't read it.

Turns out they were wrong (figures). The DMV does charge starting at the purchase date. It shows up under "Prior OT" so it is in addition to the year that starts on the day you register.

470 didn't charge me at all even though I did put the temp tag on my account. I guess they couldn't read it.
Thanks for the update. Guess once I get my "your vanity plate is ready" letter, I make the trip to DMV. I probably won't need it for a while, but last week, when I was in some snow, I was wondering if it was OK to use the rear window defroster with the temp tag there, or if it would go up in flames :smile:

Does your plate sticker expire next March or May?