Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New color rumors (of facts) anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New color rumors (or facts) anyone?

We have a white P85, and will be upgrading to a P85D soon - the only factor right now is color. If I'm getting a new Model S, I want to try a new color. However, at this point I see several blacks, whites, and a red. The grey and blue are basically black with a tint of those colors. The two whites and silver look similar from far away. Then the red, well my wife doesn't prefer red. We are hoping that with the Model X hitting production, on the same line, that maybe several new colors are on the way for the Model S also. Anyone hear anything?

Last edited:
I would not expect any new paint colors to be added until after the new paint line is installed this summer and even then it's not guaranteed. They just eliminated Green and Brown (and black roofs) in November to increase production efficiencies. Adding a new color without the new paint line would defeat that. I'd guess Model X production will start after the new paint setup is in.

I think it quite likely that when the X Design Studio web page goes online in a few months that there will be new paint colors offered and that they will also be available for the S. There have been many complaints about the relatively limited selection of colors offers by Tesla, and with the new paint facility in place soon surely more colors can be offered.

However, this is all speculation. Tesla has not said anything officially about new colors as far as I know.

As with all new features, you probably won't see any new colors in the Design Studio until the factory is ready to produce them. It would not surprise me if brown and green were simply on hiatus until the new paint line is up, but Tesla does not want people delaying their orders due to color availability so they dropped them entirely until they are in a position to paint more colors efficiently. Early Model X orders may have a similarly limited color palette, but I strongly believe the new paint line will allow them to expand and hopefully double their paint offerings.

Some variant or variants (light/dark) of bronze would go over well with many people.

Palettes are not rocket science. I myself will hold out hope for a phenomenal jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring blue.

Not into red (it's a nice red, nonetheless), not into yellow, not into brown or green (except for British racing green). Silver, white and black are played out, although the pearl white is beautiful. The new grey has a surprising amount of nuance and a hint of blue.

I will say this: It is a 100% certainty that I will wait for new color choices before upgrading to an S85D. Then it's a judgment call about whether to wait for the next round of hardware upgrades (presumably to include HUD functionality).

YM, naturally, MV.

I am visiting the US at the moment, and was at Tesla in Burlingame CA. I mentioned that I would love to see a saddle brown and maroon interior in the lineup, which would suit the steel grey and silver models, and a lighter blue \exterior. I was told that a new blue "may" be released soon. This person also says that the P85D can do 0-60 in 2.8 but it is dialed back. I have to say the next generation seats look much better in person than they do in the design studio. I am sold on them.

The green and brown were eliminated to make room for new colors. I would expect new ones in the next month or so. Probably 2 or 3 to replace those no longer in the palette (Sig Red, Green, Brown,).

The green and brown were eliminated to make room for new colors. I would expect new ones in the next month or so. Probably 2 or 3 to replace those no longer in the palette (Sig Red, Green, Brown,).

That's not what Elon said the reason for removing the colors was when it was announced during the Q3 2014 Earnings Report Conference Call.

Carter Driscoll (Analyst - MLV):
It just sounds like steady state incremental improvements, nothing that really stands out. In terms of what you're talking about in terms of reducing the number of options on the Model S to ramp production, is that because you're pulling things in that are not going to be in the base price or is there certain options you're just no longer going to offer? Does that have any effect on the blend of the ASP going forward for 2015?

Elon Musk (Chairman and CEO):
I think it's probably not going to have a big effect on the average sales price, but we have had to make some tough decisions on essentially having fewer versions of the Model S in order to streamline manufacturing and thus be able to ramp production better and have better control in logistics and not have like a million variations on the Model S. The dual motors, we're not going to produce the dual motor 60-kilowatt hour car at all.

We're not taking additional orders for the performance 85. We're only doing the performance 85 dual motor and we're cancelling green and brown as colors. These are a few examples. But this helps us streamline the manufacturing and supply chain logistics and enables us to better ramp production.

Emphasis mine.

I'd expect changes with the colors to occur when the new paint setup is finished being installed and is in use this summer. Right now the paint setup they have is a constraint on production. Eliminating colors helped them increase production. They might bring green and brown back or they might just add new colors to replace them (more likely in my opinion). It's possible that the paint colors changes will be offered for ordering before the paint setup is finished being installed, with cars ordered with the new colors delayed until the change occurs.

Yes, as soon as the new paint shop is up and running, the color palette will increase. Whether the timing of that means a new set of Model X-only colors, new colors for all Tesla vehicles, or reintroduction of the old Green and Brown is anyone's guess. But one thing is for certain, you cannot simultaneously claim to have a world-class paint facility and also be forced to offer limited color options to increase factory throughput. The current color drought is definitely temporary, and is likely tied to the spike in demand from the Ds. I can't wait to see what happens over the course of the year.

Last edited:
We will see, but I stick by my statement that new colors will be offered before the new paint shop/Model X is up and running, and that the green and brown were eliminated to be replaced by new colors (will not be brought back). I also bet that there will still only be ~10 colors offered, and all will be common for Model S and X.