Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

BC 2015 Clean Energy Vehicle Incentive and a fuelling/charging infrastructure Program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its back! Will try and post more details when we see them.

- - - Updated - - -

From Budget and Fiscal Plan2015/16 – 2017/18 Page 22...
In addition, Budget 2015 reintroduces the Clean Energy Vehicle Incentive Programand a fuelling/charging infrastructure program which will provide British Columbiansincentives when considering the variety of clean and green choices for their transportationneeds. Additional energy efficiency and conservation initiatives will also be implemented.

No details?
Not yet. Not even a budget line! Hopefully will get more details tomorrow night at the VEVA meeting. Our government representative will be there and he hopes to have some more details. Suspect they just "re" funded the initial program which was:

Purchases

• Battery Electric Vehicles (BEVs) – $5,000
  • Fuel Cell Vehicles (FCVs) – $5,000
  • Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicles / Extended Range Electric Vehicles:
  • Battery capacity of 4.0 - 9.9 kWh – $2,500
  • Battery capacity of 10.0 - 14.9 kWh – $3,500
  • Battery capacity of 15.0 kWh and greater – $5,000
  • Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) vehicles (not heavy duty) – $2,500

Charging Infrastructure

• Rebates of up to $500 per eligible electric vehicle charging station will be available to B.C. residents who own or lease a battery electric or plug in hybrid electric vehicle that is eligible for the Clean Energy Vehicle Program point-of-sale vehicle incentives.
  • property owners of Multi-Unit Residential Buildings and Mixed Use Residential Buildings (MURBs) can apply for incentives through LiveSmart BC for the installation of Electric Vehicle Charging Stations. Incentives covering 80% of eligible procurement and installation costs (up to $4,500 max per station) are available.
  • Plug-in BC Community Charging Infrastructure Deployment Fund

Last edited:
Hi! Long time lurker here. I just wanted to chime in on the new CEV Incentive. Did some research and barely found any information on this so far. But it does look like it will be after the car show at or around April 1st.

New Car Dealers Association

The more interesting tidbit I found was through the Scrap-IT program. "You will receive a $3,000 incentive when you scrap an eligible vehicle, and purchase a qualifying EV."!!!

The list of eligible vehicles even include the Model X (when it's available).

Scrap-IT EV Incentive Page

Eligible vehicles mean any 2000 or older models registered to the owner and insured for minimum 6 months prior to applying for the program.

This pushes us to the $8000 incentive mark, almost matching our friends in the East Coast.

Reactions: Jaff
Hi! Long time lurker here. I just wanted to chime in on the new CEV Incentive. Did some research and barely found any information on this so far. But it does look like it will be after the car show at or around April 1st.

New Car Dealers Association

The more interesting tidbit I found was through the Scrap-IT program. "You will receive a $3,000 incentive when you scrap an eligible vehicle, and purchase a qualifying EV."!!!

The list of eligible vehicles even include the Model X (when it's available).

Scrap-IT EV Incentive Page

Eligible vehicles mean any 2000 or older models registered to the owner and insured for minimum 6 months prior to applying for the program.

This pushes us to the $8000 incentive mark, almost matching our friends in the East Coast.
Good find, it seems this has been updated very recently (even KIA Soul EV listed). In that New Car Dealers Association Feb 23 blog post they mentioned the funding is 7.5 million for the rebates which is basically what I've heard too. There is also 1.2 million budget for DC Fast Chargers as well.

BC 2015 Clean Energy Vehicle Incentive and a fuelling/charging infrastructure...

So if you are waiting for an X, but need a new car now, I suppose one should just buy an old beater from <= 2000 for a couple hundred to just get by. Then you can take advantage of the scrap it rebate plus the cev rebate. Not ideal, but would work.

Last edited:
So if you are waiting for an X, but need a new car now, I suppose one should just buy an old beater from <= 2000 for a couple hundred to just get by. Then you can take advantage of the scrap it rebate plus the cev rebate. Not ideal, but would work.

Haha, thats exactly what I'm thinking. Find an old beater while I save and wait for the Model X. Having a wedding and moving in to a new place in Vancouver this summer is definitely not helping with that goal :frown:.

By the way, I should start a new thread on this, but thought I'd post it here anyways. But does anyone in Vancouver know of any car rental places that has a Tesla? It would be amazing to rent a Tesla for the wedding day.

- - - Updated - - -

Good find, it seems this has been updated very recently (even KIA Soul EV listed). In that New Car Dealers Association Feb 23 blog post they mentioned the funding is 7.5 million for the rebates which is basically what I've heard too. There is also 1.2 million budget for DC Fast Chargers as well.

Sorry I had to create another post to thank you. I can't find the "Edit Post" button. Appreciate if anyone could point me to where I could find that.

Having said that, thanks for the encouraging words Paul! Yes, it definitely looks like the page was recently updated. I should really attend a VEVA meeting sometime soon.

Haha, thats exactly what I'm thinking. Find an old beater while I save and wait for the Model X. Having a wedding and moving in to a new place in Vancouver this summer is definitely not helping with that goal :frown:.

By the way, I should start a new thread on this, but thought I'd post it here anyways. But does anyone in Vancouver know of any car rental places that has a Tesla? It would be amazing to rent a Tesla for the wedding day.
- - - Updated - - -
Sorry I had to create another post to thank you. I can't find the "Edit Post" button. Appreciate if anyone could point me to where I could find that.

Having said that, thanks for the encouraging words Paul! Yes, it definitely looks like the page was recently updated. I should really attend a VEVA meeting sometime soon.

Your welcome. I don't believe there is a rental available in Vancouver. You can always ask is someone is willing to help you out. Post a message to the Canada forum here and/or to the VEVA mailing list. Someone might let you rent or volunteer to drive you to the ceremony and if you're really luck to a reception after as well. I know of two instances this past summer. I tried to volunteer for one, but someone beat me to it... or is that saved me from it? :wink:

The "Edit Post" is available at the bottom right of your posts. However you only get 1 day grace period now to edit.

It seems they have to update the dealer list to include Tesla Vancouver. When you click on the link of authorized "Dealers" Tesla is not listed..

2.The EV must be purchased and/or leased from a participating dealership. A list of participating dealerships can be found here.

Your welcome. I don't believe there is a rental available in Vancouver. You can always ask is someone is willing to help you out. Post a message to the Canada forum here and/or to the VEVA mailing list. Someone might let you rent or volunteer to drive you to the ceremony and if you're really luck to a reception after as well. I know of two instances this past summer. I tried to volunteer for one, but someone beat me to it... or is that saved me from it? :wink:

The "Edit Post" is available at the bottom right of your posts. However you only get 1 day grace period now to edit.

Great suggestion Paul. I don't feel like I've contributed enough to the TMC community to start asking others for favours haha. This is the most active I've been on any forum in a while. I'm mostly just a lurker. But with all the commotion with the Model X release and also the CEV incentive coming back, I feel like I need to participate somehow!

I also think I haven't earned the "Edit Post" privilege yet. I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks!

It seems they have to update the dealer list to include Tesla Vancouver. When you click on the link of authorized "Dealers" Tesla is not listed..

2.The EV must be purchased and/or leased from a participating dealership. A list of participating dealerships can be found here.

I wonder if they purposefully omitted Tesla on the list because we're not considered a "Dealership" :wink:

I can't wait till I can order my Tesla. Having said that though, the experience I had at Land Rover/Range Rover Richmond wasn't THAT bad. But reading about the amazing delivery stories on this forum makes my experience pale in comparison.

I also think I haven't earned the "Edit Post" privilege yet. I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks!

I believe you are also required to have a minimum number of posts on the forum before certain "higher-level" functions, such as editing your posts and uploading photos, are made available to you. Presumably, this is to prevent spambots from running amuck in the forum.

Great suggestion Paul. I don't feel like I've contributed enough to the TMC community to start asking others for favours haha. This is the most active I've been on any forum in a while. I'm mostly just a lurker. But with all the commotion with the Model X release and also the CEV incentive coming back, I feel like I need to participate somehow!

I wouldn't worry about it. We on the forum place a high value on enthusiasm, which you clearly have. After all, it doesn't hurt to ask.

At the meeting tonight, there was not any more detail available, but expect some announcement at the car show at the end of the month or around April 1rst.

If the gov't is waiting until the Vancouver International Auto Show later this month to announce the new EV rebates, just for a photoshoot, that's pretty disappointing. If this is part of the budget then announce it now so families who may want to buy a Leaf, Tesla, etc. can do so, without having to put it off a month to see if there will be this extra savings. It's not as if we didn't already hear the budget announcement with details two weeks ago:

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-budget-2015-10-highlights-1.2959335

-- so why wait on this part of it? I'll believe it when I see it.

If the gov't is waiting until the Vancouver International Auto Show later this month to announce the new EV rebates, just for a photoshoot, that's pretty disappointing. If this is part of the budget then announce it now so families who may want to buy a Leaf, Tesla, etc. can do so, without having to put it off a month to see if there will be this extra savings. It's not as if we didn't already hear the budget announcement with details two weeks ago:

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/british-columbia/b-c-budget-2015-10-highlights-1.2959335

-- so why wait on this part of it? I'll believe it when I see it.
Could be something to do with giving incentives for the dealers of all things (like ZEV credits). Could also be they are trying to get the program admins up and running again is taking some time.

I received a call from Van Tesla store yesterday and they suggested i wait till a few weeks into April to get my 85D [ Was scheduled to arrive sometime towards the end of March ] so I could take advantage of the $5,000 rebate that should [ will ? ] be formally announced Apr 1. I have been waiting for 4 months now so I guess a few more weeks won't kill me..lol

I received a call from Van Tesla store yesterday and they suggested i wait till a few weeks into April to get my 85D [ Was scheduled to arrive sometime towards the end of March ] so I could take advantage of the $5,000 rebate that should [ will ? ] be formally announced Apr 1. I have been waiting for 4 months now so I guess a few more weeks won't kill me..lol

That makes sense:

State of Charge: BC Green Car Rebate Returns April 2015 - Autos.ca