Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking help with hotels in the Fargo area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cpa

May 17, 2014
Central Valley
Hello to all in the northern Plains:

After Bonnie was able to get a HPWC installed in her hometown south of Minneapolis, she suggested that I contact hotels in the Fargo area about one or more seizing the opportunity to contact Tesla to get some HPWC at their sites for us to use while staying the night or spending some time dining at their facility. She was good enough to send me some suggestions to try to get a hotel interested.

I am from California, and I would like to visit Cooperstown ND this May on my return trip from Milwaukee. Cooperstown has an old nuclear missile silo that is now a National Landmark, and I am curious to take the tour and learn more about the Cold War that was on everyone's mind back in the late '50s and '60s.

Anyway, I sent an email to the general manager of the Wyndham, and I just spoke with the maintenance supervisor at the Ramada Plaza. I tried to explain the benefits of having a Tesla (or 80A J1772) available for guests, but I am afraid that either I was just unpersuasive or that North Dakotans are not too enamored of attracting guests with BEVs.

If any of you know the Fargo area and its hotels could offer up a suggested site or two that might be more responsive or receptive to installing an EV charging station or two, I would be very grateful to pursue these locations.

I guess as a side benefit, these would open up eastern North Dakota for those who fancy a journey to Fargo, Grand Forks or other spots.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Try calling the best western Kelly inn and suites off of 45th street. This hotel has some of the nicest workers of any hotel I have stayed at. My wife and I stop in fargo 2-3 times a year and will also be looking for charging options until the SC opens up.

Try calling the best western Kelly inn and suites off of 45th street. This hotel has some of the nicest workers of any hotel I have stayed at. My wife and I stop in fargo 2-3 times a year and will also be looking for charging options until the SC opens up.

I contacted them a long time ago for possible charging in future trips to Fargo, after going to Fargo once for Halloween and not having destination charging well-planned. They were very accommodating. Just start the conversation asking if they have a "block heater" or "RV outlet" and it will go more smoothly. If you're wondering what a block heater is, it's some antiquated technology to do with ICE problems in cold weather. I learned once when I saw a NEMA 5-15 plug hanging out the grill of a car. I'm confident my children are of the first generation of Minnesotans to have no clue what a block heater is, other than it being something you say at places that aren't savvy with EV concepts yet.

My teenager had an interesting conversation with me after her driver's education class last week. I had to explain to her what oil pressure and engine temperature meant, as well as transmission fluid. Asked me why gas cars didn't have more accurate information about how much gas was left.

When you go to Fargo, you're stepping back in time. Just remember that. Be careful with your time machine, OK?