Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locking the glove box. Interest?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've often wanted to lock the glove box for various reasons, even when the car was unlocked. There isn't currently a way to disable the glove box button on the touchscreen, so I did some investigation. I've found the connector to the actuator that opens the glove box, and it appears that it isn't controlled by the computer. It seems to have power only when the accessories are powered up. I'm in the process of sourcing the parts for this, but would anyone else like a pigtail that can be used for a hidden switch? This would be a kit where you unplug the actuator and install this harness inline. No splicing. There would be a decent amount of wire for you to run it to a hidden location with a switch (or IC controlled MOSFET) of your choice. I don't see this costing more than $40 shipped. It depends on how much the connectors are.

I'd really like something like this for the frunk, to prevent accidental opening. (I'm concerned if someone else, like a valet, accidentally opens the frunk, they aren't going to close it properly.)

While I have also witnessed a valet mashing all the buttons on my car's fob, pop the trunk, then make a horrible attempt to close it, I don't want to do anything to the frunk. I believe someone did make a keyfob holder that renders one or more buttons unusable. I would start there.

I would also be hesitant to make something that could impede the access to the first responders' loop in the case of an accident.

Don't want to derail your thread here, so just let me know I'll take it somewhere else. But I don't think first responders are going to be impeded. They will just use the lever under the glove box or force the hood open. I don't think they will want to waste time finding and figuring out the fob, or fiddling with the touch screen.

- - - Updated - - -

Interested. In both (although I believe the newer cars do not have a frunk release??)

That's correct, but I think the frunk override would be useful with or without the manual release.

I was thinking today that the button and release for the glove box is obviously motorized so there could be a software option possible here: from the screen choose the option to lock the glovebox using a code, as you press the button (the physical button next to the screen) a query box pops up on the screen asking for your 4 digit code. Possible?

Oh cool, I haven't tested it yet. However I might want to have it locked without having the speed and acceleration of the car capped.

The fact that Valet mode can lock it though proves beyond doubt that it can be software controlled. So it would be easy to make the kind of code lock function I'm asking for.