Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Paint - factory custom?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
European brands offer a wide range of paint options when specifying a new order. The MS would look stellar in colors from other OEMs. It would've been great to release the P85D along with another color option for the MS. Has anyone inquired about custom paint from the factory?
2014_audi_rs7_sportback_40_1024x768.jpg

Nardo Grey please!

Tesla has done custom paint colors before. There are a handful of them out there. Signature cars could be custom colors and George RR Martin's purple Model S come to mind. There was also a french racing blue P85D that turned up here recently. There has been discussion on them ceasing to do this over the years. Until the new paint setup goes into place this summer I suspect they're going to try really hard to avoid doing custom colors now.

The french racing blue P85D can be seen here:
P85D sighting / test drives - Page 36

Someone on the forum has a pinkish one. Someone else on the forum has a brown that is not the Tesla brown, that I believe is a signature car. There is a burnt red (orange'ish color) one that supposedly belongs to the head of paint at Tesla. There's a bright green one that people believe was a D test-mule. I'm probably forgetting some more of them. I could probably dig up links for the ones I mentioned if I felt like spending the time.

The french racing blue P85D can be seen here:
P85D sighting / test drives - Page 36

Someone on the forum has a pinkish one. Someone else on the forum has a brown that is not the Tesla brown, that I believe is a signature car. There is a burnt red (orange'ish color) one that supposedly belongs to the head of paint at Tesla. There's a bright green one that people believe was a D test-mule. I'm probably forgetting some more of them. I could probably dig up links for the ones I mentioned if I felt like spending the time.

The pink/lavender one belongs to forum member ggr. The custom brown belongs to roblab.

Tesla has done custom paint colors before. There are a handful of them out there. Signature cars could be custom colors and George RR Martin's purple Model S come to mind. There was also a french racing blue P85D that turned up here recently. There has been discussion on them ceasing to do this over the years. Until the new paint setup goes into place this summer I suspect they're going to try really hard to avoid doing custom colors now.

If Tesla would start doing brown again, preferably more of a chocolate pearl type (hint, hint), I would be seriously in the market for a D upgrade.

Ah, I can dream.

Here are some photos of the custom colors discussed above

LaurentBlue_zpsf7d1f43a.jpg
Laurent's Blue from early 2013

BurntOrange_zps6c62543f.jpg
Burnt Orange spotted charging at Harris Ranch. Belongs to a Tesla employee.

600HP_zps8ad363ff.jpg
Lime Green. Belongs to a Tesla employee.

FrenchBlue_zps5be8dca4.jpg
French Racing Blue (actually Mustang Grabber Blue) P85D delivered December 2014.

I've seen the purple MS and I'll search for pictures of other colors. Green and brown are still head turners. Offering satin finishes in standard colors would go a long way.

There are actually at least two deep purple cars, both painted at the factory.
The latter one is darker purple than the original, all the door sills, chin spoiler and dash is painted dark (deep?) purple.

Last edited:
I would pay to have a custom color.
At all possible?

My understanding is yes, custom color paint IS possible.
I had heard like $15 K or so for the custom color from the factory.

Another Paint Option I have heard of: local car got delivered to Service Center in Dallas.
Owner went and took delivery of the car.
Car was immediately taken to a local paint shop, it was striped down and repainted beautiful light green color that Aston Martin uses.
Someday, I hope to see it, take some pics.

Other Option would be to wrap your car.
There is a brown Model S which is wrapped a near iridescent blue.
IIRC, it was Vossen wheel related ad with car driving.

When I was in Vegas last summer I saw an absolutely beautiful GOLD Tesla. It was a wrap and even the wheels were wrapped in gold. Not sure how practical that was, but it sure looked beautiful. The owner was charging at the Vegas SC so I had to ask. He said it was "around $3000".

For custom colors my understanding is that the factory ships the body in white to a local shop for paint then it's returned for assembly. I don't believe the custom color is done in the factory. That's second hand information, I haven't asked Tesla the process.

For custom colors my understanding is that the factory ships the body in white to a local shop for paint then it's returned for assembly. I don't believe the custom color is done in the factory. That's second hand information, I haven't asked Tesla the process.

That is how it was done early on. The more recent cars were painted at the factory. However, I was told in early January that Tesla has stopped taking any additional orders for custom paint.

Here are some photos of the custom colors discussed above

LaurentBlue_zpsf7d1f43a.jpg
Laurent's Blue from early 2013

BurntOrange_zps6c62543f.jpg
Burnt Orange spotted charging at Harris Ranch. Belongs to a Tesla employee.

600HP_zps8ad363ff.jpg
Lime Green. Belongs to a Tesla employee.

FrenchBlue_zps5be8dca4.jpg
French Racing Blue (actually Mustang Grabber Blue) P85D delivered December 2014.

Mustang Grabber Blue just sounds so much less exotic than French racing blue. Kind of like why deep purple is usually called aubergine instead of eggplant.