Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cottonwood

Roadster#433, Model S#S37
Feb 27, 2009
Colorado
Trinidad, CO appears to be "Opening Soon" on the Tesla "Today" map. I exchanged e-mails with the head of the Building Department in Trinidad, and he told me that there is a permit application from Tesla that is being reviewed. The location will be:

9700 Santa Fe Trail
Trinidad, CO 81082 - Google Maps

185 miles is a little far from Lone Tree, but it looks like there is another Supercharger on the "2015" map in Pueblo. That will make the distances much more reasonable.

South of there, there will be Superchargers in Las Vegas, NM; Albuquerque, NM; and Santa Rosa, NM.

Reactions: PStewart
That's great news for south-bounders out of Denver.
Probably not much hope of getting anything in the 240 miles from Trinidad/Raton, NM to the planned Amarillo,TX Supercharger via Dalhart and Clayton on US87. That's a favorite cut-off route for many Texans heading to Colorado, but pretty desolate...

Trinidad, CO appears to be "Opening Soon" on the Tesla "Today" map. I exchanged e-mails with the head of the Building Department in Trinidad, and he told me that there is a permit application from Tesla that is being reviewed. The location will be:

9700 Santa Fe Trail

185 miles is a little far from Lone Tree, but it looks like there is another Supercharger on the "2015" map in Pueblo. That will make the distances much more reasonable.

South of there, there will be Superchargers in Las Vegas, NM; Albuquerque, NM; and Santa Rosa, NM.

Place seems strange. Just next to a very worn motel? Do you have a more exact location? Could it be in front of the restaurant just a little more to the north?

Great to hear this! I had emailed the Trinidad Economic Development dept earlier and had no response from them.

I drive back & forth from Amarillo to Colorado Springs, and this will be great to have. As noted earlier, going non-stop from Amarillo to Trinidad would be a stretch, even though it is 233 miles, because Raton Pass is 4175 ft higher than Amarillo.

There are several places to grab quick top off charges in both directions. There are RV Parks in Raton NM(KOA), Capulin NM, Clayton NM, a city owned site in Dalhart, TX, and a free city owned park in Dumas, TX.

I'd really want to have 60 rated miles left as you leave Raton heading north on I-25, as the grade will kill you. You'll get most of your miles back going downhill into Trinidad.

The alternative would be to be Amarillo - > Tucumcari - Trinidad, CO but that adds 70 actual miles of driving.
Amarillo - > Santa Rosa NM -> Trinidad adds 149 actual miles.

So it would actually be faster to do a quick 60 - 90 minute charge in Clayton or Capulin or Raton on the way out, and charge at Clayton, Dalhart or Dumas on the way back to Texas.

I'd appreciate any info or photos once the project gets underway. I hope to check this one out in June if it's done by then.

9700 Santa Fe Trail

Maybe the local diner, watering hole or welding shop in Dalhart or Clayton could secure a HPWC or even install a 50amp plug.... A couple hours would enable Amarillo to Trinidad ..

I've done 40amps at the city owned RV park in Dalhart on the south edge of town. It was free. You can see it on Plugshare.

In the summer all the spots could potentially be occupied by RVs. The park in Dumas has a lot more spaces, supports 40amps, and is also free.

> There is yet to be an E/W direct route. [smartypnz]

The reason why this is came to me in a dream: What happened was that various high speed cross country taxi services developed to serve airplane-phobic LA to NY clientele. All using ModelSs of course. This became quite tedious over time to the TM big wigs who felt they were being taken for a ride as well. Then I woke up. :crying:
--

Not so sure.... looking at the map there are 6 N/S routes (1 completed) and at least two more close to finish. There is yet to be an E/W direct route.

Stevezzzz was commenting about my post regarding what Tesla's end-2016 SpC map shows,​ not where we are today. I stand by my - and Steve's - fairly modest complaint.

Today, I-95 goes from Boston to Miami, I-5 goes from Vancouver to San Diego, and I-75 is only missing Knoxville to be complete from Detroit to Miami. That's 3 N-S routes!

After the initial Elon Mystery Tour as an E-W route, Tesla completed the I-15 route from SoCal to I-70 to help a little. The I-70 path across the midwest seems to be taking forever, the I-90 connection out of the Pacific NW got stalled in Idaho and Wyoming, and I-40 is finally getting started towards OKC. I-80 from the Bay Area to SLC is the only bright spot for recent E-W route construction.

Looking at this, I think that the N-S routes are a little ahead of the E-W routes.

Trinidad it the first of three Superchargers this year (also Pueblo, CO and Las Vegas, NM) to connect Denver to Albuquerque on I-25. Even with Cheyenne, WY, this section of I-25 is a pretty short N-S route.