Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection film vs parking sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My pre-cut kit doesn't show any seams, and I have a full wrap with wrapped edges on all panels, except for the rear deck lid. The only place that would have a seam for the pre-cut Xpel kit is on the rear deck lid, due to the curves and angles. Be very aware that custom installers who do not use kits will be cutting the film as it sits on your car. Obviously this takes a great deal of skill, and you want an installer that isn't going to cut through the film and scar the paint.

Just due to curiosity we tested PPF over the rear parking sensors and they read accurately. After testing it, the film was trimmed back to expose the sensor.

I would not test it in the real world though. There's no good excuse for PPF to be over a sensor.

My pre-cut kit doesn't show any seams, and I have a full wrap with wrapped edges on all panels, except for the rear deck lid. The only place that would have a seam for the pre-cut Xpel kit is on the rear deck lid, due to the curves and angles. Be very aware that custom installers who do not use kits will be cutting the film as it sits on your car. Obviously this takes a great deal of skill, and you want an installer that isn't going to cut through the film and scar the paint.

even pre-cut templates require cutting on the paint (and you are lucky about your lack of seams - that isnt the norm). Its a skill that escapes me....

I have it on both +s and they work fine. As skilly pointed out, get someone very good at this to do it entirely in one sheet. I saw the guys at Premeire do it and I'm amazed at what can be done with just a large sheet.

even pre-cut templates require cutting on the paint (and you are lucky about your lack of seams - that isnt the norm). Its a skill that escapes me....

I believe my installer has his own plotter to cut out the kit pieces, and he extends the kit edges to provide a margin to wrap the edges and hide the seams. He did do some cutting of excess material on the back side of the wraps, in spots that are generally hidden from view...but never on the external surfaces.

I remember googling for PPF over parking sensors back when I had my PPF done 2 yrs ago and came up with a few sensor manufacturers that explicitly stated that anything (PPF, wraps, stickers, etc) placed over the sensor affects it's operation and voids it's warranty, hence the reason I state PPF should never cover the parking sensors. (Note that I don't have parking sensors, I was just curious). I don't know if that applies for all manufacturers or just a specific few. In any case regardless of the video above I'd rather not chance it and eliminate the risk entirely. Plus I don't think it looks good anyway bc putting the film over the sensor leaves you with this clear visible circle (especially on a black car) where the edges meet highlighting the sensor. Personally I feel like putting film over parking sensors is a short cut by installers to save time by "not doing it right" (no offense to installers here).

Last edited:
I remember googling for PPF over parking sensors back when I had my PPF done 2 yrs ago and came up with a few sensor manufacturers that explicitly stated that anything (PPF, wraps, stickers, etc) placed over the sensor affects it's operation and voids it's warranty, hence the reason I state PPF should never cover the parking sensors. (Note that I don't have parking sensors, I was just curious). I don't know if that applies for all manufacturers or just a specific few. In any case regardless of the video above I'd rather not chance it and eliminate the risk entirely. Plus I don't think it looks good anyway bc putting the film over the sensor leaves you with this clear visible circle (especially on a black car) where the edges meet highlighting the sensor. Personally I feel like putting film over parking sensors is a short cut by installers to save time by "not doing it right" (no offense to installers here).

This is actually quite true. When leaving the film over any raised surfaces would create an bubblish outline around the sensors. This is why we trim them all off....just does not look good at all leaving them laid over the sensors.

Please bear with me as this does not have good production value.

Do Tesla Model S parking sensors read accurately with paint protection film over them? Here's how one Model S responded:

I just want to point out that in the video you are measuring the distance from one sensor to the object, and coming up with 24 inches. The dash is showing the distance from the front of the car to the object as 22 inches. Since the nosecone is curved, the front of the car is, in fact, less than 24 inches from the object. I can't say if it is a full 2 inches closer--it's probably not. But I'm not sure why you would want to measure directly to the sensor when that's not the purpose of the sensor. The sensors, working together, are attempting to tell you how far the car is from an object. And since the portion of the car that was highlighted on the dash was the very front section, you should have been measuring from the very tip of the car, which would have resulted in the car's estimate being even closer than it was.

• Informative
Reactions: brrr