Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why isn't there storage under the armrests?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been said there's some electronics in there, though I don't know for what as it seems an odd location for them.
Tesla is new to the automotive world, they tried for a very minimal approach with basically no storage for small items. I think over time they'll realize people do actually want some places to put little things here and there and we'll see more things like that in future models (I think they can do this without sacrificing their open and simple approach, door pockets or storage under the armrest wouldn't change the open feel of the cabin)

I don't think two awkwardly positioned cupholders count as "storage"

latest.jpg

What do people store in car cabins these days?
Maps- no, there are onscreen maps
Change- no, highways have toll tag readers
Cassette tapes or CDs-- No and no

My sunglasses case goes in the shelf under the main screen, and charge network cards are in the drivers seat pouch. A pen and notepad is in the glove compartment. What should I be carrying that I'm not?

yes. Many places I go regularly have no cell coverage, and even in my home city a year old paper map is always more up to date for new communities than google maps.
yes. when grocery shopping you need change for shopping carts. the carwash needs change for the wand-wash (I always wand wash, never an automated carwash)
no, this one is obsolete, but has been replaced with various charging adapters for accessories

My sunglasses case goes in the shelf under the main screen, and charge network cards are in the drivers seat pouch. A pen and notepad is in the glove compartment. What should I be carrying that I'm not?
That all depends on what you do. I also have candies (I find if I'm a bit drowsy eating/sucking/chewing something perks me right up) I also carry a flashlight and multi-tool, work gloves, a toque and mitts, and matches, I also have sunscreen and bug spray, a roll of toilet paper, and hand sanitizer, some napkins. Other stuff goes in the trunk (foldable shovel, air compressor, tire patch kit, duct tape, more tools, first aid kit, a couple blankets)

There's not a place to put my Sig .938 so it will not slide around.........

What should I be carrying that I'm not?

I think that's the wrong question. Just because you don't find it useful doesn't mean everyone else is the same. The original point is, the arms rest are mounted on a giant hollow box anyway... Why isn't there a lid on there so that it can be opened? But to answer your question, I commonly travel with stuff that I would love to have a closing cubby for, like: wallet, cellphone (I don't like them in my pocket when driving long distances), pocket knife, camera, mp3 player, usb charging cables, snacks, gum, etc.

The problem with the current no storage bins: I stomp on the accelerator and suddenly, everything I had in the center cubby becomes a missile flying around in my car. I slam on the brakes, and everything is by my feet.

yes. when grocery shopping you need change for shopping carts.

I appreciate that people who live in harsh climates have more stuff they want to carry around, and that the S might be lacking a bit in storage, but I had no idea that there were markets in North America that charged customers to use a shopping cart.

Speaking only for myself I find the S storage areas more than adequate, especially the space under the floor of the trunk. But I live in a mild climate.

Last edited:
I appreciate that people who live in harsh climates have more stuff they want to carry around, and that the S might be lacking a bit in storage, but I had no idea that there were markets in North America that charged customers to use a shopping cart.
I've come across a lot of places where it's used as incentive to return the carts properly and not leave them scattered all over. Put change in and the cart is released for use. Put cart back inside another cart (presumably in a cart corral), and your change comes back out.

Our storage is pretty limited. It's a shame we have a mostly-empty armrest that goes completely to waste. It doesn't help that the glovebox is tiny and there aren't map pockets (which I wouldn't mind at all if there were some storage elsewhere).

I barely have enough room for my sunglasses, a lens/screen cloth, required vehicle documentation for CA, my Chargepoint card, a tiny bottle of hand sanitizer, and some napkins for emergencies. I took out the paper manual to make room. My wife can't leave her glasses in the car because there's not enough room, and any baby stuff needs tossed in the trunk. It's not a huge annoyance, but a functional bin in the empty armrest would have gone a LONG way.

Speaking only for myself I find the S storage areas more than adequate, especially the space under the floor of the trunk. But I live in a mild climate.
Seems a regional thing, but in Canada it's normal at most grocery stores to require a $1 coin (sometimes only a quarter) to use a cart, you get the money back when you return the cart. It reduces the number of shopping carts left scattered all over the parking lot, which the paint on my car is appreciative of.

I'll freely admit that I could cut down some of what I carry, but I think the Tesla is a bit too minimal with it's storage too. There needs to be a compromise. Arm rest storage and door pockets should be more than adequate. (well, and maybe coat hooks)

Perhaps if you REALLY want storage in the door or under the center armrests, then a visit to an auto custom shop that does upholstery is the solution for you. These guys, can create just about anything you and your funds can desire. From a photo, I had an AMX jumpseat fabricated and upholstered a few years ago. A pretty rare option back in the late 60's.

Get er done if you want storage. I am blessed here in Connecticut with many highly skilled auto artisans. I bet you can also find them where you are too. Sheesh, I am sure California and Florida are just loaded with such shops. If you cannot find them in the yellow pages, then I suggest that you visit some cruise nights and car shows and talk to the hot rodders.... they can hook you up with local experts.

Is something under the armrests that prevented the engineers from providing us with even a small storage area under the armrests as .. every other vehicle in the world does?

There is some wiring and the ducts for the rear passenger vents. Mostly it's the vents that take up the space. There is also the thermal sensor for the HVAC (behind the holes in current cars). If you need storage getting one of the centre consoles works fine.

It's not a charge really, you put the coin in the cart to release it from the others, you can get your coin back if you return the cart and "plug" it back into the the other carts. I think it's done to encourage people to return their carts instead of leaving them in the parking lot.

Edit: oops, didn't see green1 beat me to it

My non-Tesla has underseat vents and center armrest vents for the rear passengers, and still manages to have a center cubby by flipping the armrest up. My back seat center also has a pull out armrest (for when only two sit back there) that has a spring locking dual cup holder built into it. Still comfortable to be in the middle seat as long as the more narrow spacing works for you.

As as for the question earlier, my usual assortment is registration and insurance docs, non-homelink compatible garage door opener, flashlight, napkins/tissues, gum, mints, sunglasses, contact lense case, miniature bottle of contact lense solution, emergency pair of eyeglasses, the other half's keys, wallet, snack bar (on occasion), SunPass Transponder, chap stick, headphones (for when I forget to pack one for a trip), solar charger for phones/tablets, charging cords, floss, pack of toothpicks, pack of cotton swabs, gloves, reusable water bottle with built-in filter, ziplocked emergency toothbrush, travel toothpaste. Elsewhere a small backpack with a blanket, tshirt, socks, microfiber cloth, hybrid shorts (quick dry swim trunks), a roll of toilet paper, flares, multi-tool, bungee cords, and tire guage. Also a tire compressor and an umbrella. Together, this help me out with the numerous road trips and any occasion stuck out in the rain or snow.

As others have said, I could pack less, but whenever on a road trip, everyone knows I've got some basic necessities covered in case of emergency.