Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Epic EV from Ampev

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
http://www.ampev.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/2010-Epic_Overview_WEB.pdf

timthumb.php

timthumb.php

timthumb.php

timthumb.php

I'd like to take that AMP out for a spin.

I hope they were just babying the prototype in that AMP EV video.

With Electric motor torque those front wheels should be able to stay in the air until the rear wheels crest that tiny hill.

I went to the Torq launch event today and got a test ride in Epic's new roadster. It was a fun event and great to be able to talk with those in charge of the design and launch of this creature. They had 3 vehicles for test rides and a long line of folks queued up.
It was nice to see Steve Fambro, Aptera co-founder with Epic's Chris Anthony, there too. I enjoyed talking with them both.

Jumps off the line like a scared cat and corners very flat. Skitters a little when taken hard around corners. I guess the lost traction and stability from the missing 4th wheel hurts.
They said when driven moderately, it's gets around 80-90 miles range. DC motor, so no regen. For me, that's the number one feature; one pedal driving, I would like to see to improve the driving fun. It is quite wide. I paced off over 90 inches.

Yes, it's 3 wheels and the styling is agressive. I think in this case it suits the car perfectly. Very niche, high-end market, but I'd like to see them sell some. A great bunch of people at Epic.

Torq1.jpg
Torq3.jpg

I skimmed their website. I didn't find any specs on the type of motor or batteries they're using. Anyone know?
The batteries come from Flux Power, another Chris Anthony company. I was told they were LiFePO4. They are packaged in 12V strings with BMS (via RF comm it appeared). It looked to me like the motor and controller were NetGain. Pretty beefy looking and the same thing they use on their AMP EV off-road 4WD.
@vfx: Re: the one pedal driving; Sorry, my twisted sentence structure was confusing.
I meant to say, the TORQ EV has a DC motor and thus, no regen and I think the one-pedal driving feature you can get with an induction motor and sufficient regen would be a big plus for something this "sporty".