Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't imagine Tesla would've invested a supposed half-billion dollars on Autopilot if they didn't intend to roll it out on every car they produce (at worst, as a Tech Package-included option). I'm certainly expecting it for my Model 3.

Glad to hear it, that's what I was thinking. By the way, I took these pictures of a new Tesla showroom here in Utah that seems about ready to open. In time for the Model 3...

IMG_20150214_122640.jpg
IMG_20150214_122728.jpg
IMG_20150214_215431.jpg
IMG_20150214_215442.jpg
IMG_20150214_215457.jpg

-Gary

A lot of the tech for AutoPilot is for active safety. They might be able to identify areas where technology needed for safety can be cheaper than in the Model S, and then offer AutoPilot with upgraded hardware, but I'm certain that it would be available as an option and more likely would be standard. The potential insurance and economic savings from more "autonomy" are simply too great to be going backwards and removing technology, especially given the likelihood that costs of the underlying technologies will continue to fall.

Will the Model 3 have autopilot features? Thanks for all related info, hope so.
I would say the question is: Does the Model S have autopilot features?

Even there you need to upgrade the tech package. So most likely it will be available as a expensive upgrade. Not sure how many people wainting for that $35k car will spend a few thousand bucks more for that.

Not sure how many people wainting for that $35k car will spend a few thousand bucks more for that.

That depends on tesla and their road map of updates.
The best thing tesla can do is when they release the model3, is also release a timeline of updates they plan to implement so people are encouraged to buy non standard packages;
tech package, 85kwh/sc access, awd, extended warranty etc

That depends on tesla and their road map of updates.
The best thing tesla can do is when they release the model3, is also release a timeline of updates they plan to implement so people are encouraged to buy non standard packages;
tech package, 85kwh/sc access, awd, extended warranty etc

I don't think so. While announcing a bunch of future updates might encourage people to spend more for additional options, it means their schedule becomes public knowledge - bad both for the PR implications of being late and for the competitive aspects of GM and BMW knowing exactly when they need to get new features out by.

Worse, it robs Tesla of the free advertising they get every time they put out a major update, and the excitement drivers have to suddenly get the new toys (which then become something they were expected to provide and not something to celebrate.)
Walter

- - - Updated - - -

Will the Model 3 have autopilot features? Thanks for all related info, hope so.

-Gary
Software Engineer at Autonomous Solutions Inc.

I would bet that it gets some degree of Autopilot.

Depending on the state of the technology at that time, it might get one that is capable of more than the Model S - possibly even one that is capable of fully autonomous driving in good weather with a driver present.
Walter

Depending on the state of the technology at that time, it might get one that is capable of more than the Model S - possibly even one that is capable of fully autonomous driving in good weather with a driver present.
Walter

Perhaps more capable than today's Model S, but they will always update the Model S to be more full featured then the Model 3, it's not going to just stand still.

Perhaps more capable than today's Model S, but they will always update the Model S to be more full featured then the Model 3, it's not going to just stand still.
I'd agree with that, though some of the hardware needed for full functionality may not be easily upgradeable, so it is possible that a first run Model 3 will be more capable than a current Model S with firmware updates to the Model 3 era, which is what I was trying to say. Presumably a Model S built at the same time would have at least the same capabilities as the Model 3.Walter

I don't think so. While announcing a bunch of future updates might encourage people to spend more for additional options, it means their schedule becomes public knowledge - bad both for the PR implications of being late and for the competitive aspects of GM and BMW knowing exactly when they need to get new features out by.
Walter

I think it's possible to dangle a cherry while still holding onto the golden goose egg.
Elon said at The D unveiling that he wants the car to plug itself in and drive to your front door. That's 2 announcements that can encourage people to buy the tech package, even though it's not available yet.