Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Battery Survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

32no

Jun 26, 2013
US
Hey guys,
I was doing some research on Tesla's battery life, battery replacements, and drivetrain replacements. I found a battery degradation report for the Tesla Roadster from Plug In America, but I didn't find one for the Model S. Perhaps they want to collect more data. So I say, give it to them! Go ahead over here to take the battery survey. If they come out with a report with plenty of data, it will definitely stop the FUD that people keep spreading about battery degradation and having to replace the battery every 8 years.

... stop the FUD that people keep spreading about battery degradation and having to replace the battery every 8 years.

Well, as far as handing out rumors, a couple years ago, after I had owned my car several months and driven all over, I heard a Tesla person (that's nice and specific, but, hey, it was a long time ago) say that the battery was guaranteed for eight years, for less than 30% degradation. He went on to reiterate the number of years, but to add that Tesla figures it will probably last 12 -15 years.

Now we are hearing that the battery is not degrading as fast as they had planned. So all bets are off. The batteries were supposed to degrade about ten percent in the first year or so, and then taper slowly to 30% in eight years. I think there was even a pretty picture of that curve.

If google had not just kicked me off, I might have even done a search for you.

On a further note, I'd love to take a survey, but how in the world are we going to measure battery degradation when Tesla keeps downloading new firmware that resets the amount of charge below zero? I have no idea how much my battery holds any more, other than to say I can get 300 miles on a charge if I go slowly enough.

I'm kind of curious as the the course of the Model S data that Tom had been collecting and analyzing. After getting one of the 6.1 flavors of firmware, my 90% rated ranged jumped from 223- (for all of 2014) to 231+ (for Jan of 2015). I don't know what to think of that yet.

Today I took my 2012 S to the new Petaluma SC. The best rated range I ever got before was 267 rated miles. Today I waited until 100% charge. (there were always open spaces ) It charged to 268 rated miles! That was 304 ideal miles! My S is VIN 2201, delivered on 2012-12-15. Currently it has over 27k miles. And yes, of course, I have an A battery!

ac2553f6d37b42215cdf9f1d275a0d99.jpg

6f4dbb00efce3f14fd6f80916e352b35.jpg

Sorry about the poor pics. The sun shines right in through the windshield in the pm at Petaluma. Not exactly conducive of photos of the dash or kicking back and closing your eyes.

Wow those lit supercharger stalls look cool

I switched to using percentage display on my car and using the energy graphs to see how much range I have left so I've lost track of how many "miles" a particular charge level gets me. Never matters anyway, it is all about actual consumption.

I'd like to see what the CAC or Estimated capacity figure is on Tesla's internal / secret statistics for my car (I've seen the value once in the past).