Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used second charger.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to add a Dual Charger to my single charger S. But, I'm not too thrilled about paying $3600.

What about buying one off of a salvaged vehicle. Even it it does check out as mint, any reasons why I shouldn't do this?

I'm not sure, but every time I've asked my service center to help me out with installations, and whatnot, they've always been helpful and friendly. (They even installed my wheels that I did NOT buy from them), so, it's probable that they WOULD install the charger for me.

But what are your thoughts on this?

-Ronnie

Ask your SvC for the price difference for a refurb unit.

I ws under the impression that a good deal of the $3600 is installation costs. I would get an estimate before trying to find the part. You may not save all that much, and will have a part with no warranty.

Doubtful. It should only take them an hour, at most two, to lift the backseats and drop in the charger. At $125/hr you're looking at 250 max out of 3600.

I ws under the impression that a good deal of the $3600 is installation costs. I would get an estimate before trying to find the part. You may not save all that much, and will have a part with no warranty.

That's the way I see it -- the $3600 is installation plus part. The $1500 when ordering is mostly/entirely part. So I would not be surprised at $2100 for installation.

But I don't think they will do it. VERY different installing an unknown condition high-voltage part into an extremely expensive integrated system than installing some wheels.

Let me know if you can even find a used one in salvage--i've been looking for one for several months with no luck.

The salvage cars go for too high a price for the used parts guys--seems to be mostly folks who think they are going to be able to rebuild and get them back running.

It looks to me that the install involves electrical connections inside the HVJB, plus the coolant lines have to be drained, spliced in to the second charger, then refill and bleed the coolant, CAN bus connection, etc.

Well, I know of at least 2 "dealerships" that specialize in recuperating Model S's that have been salvaged. And most of these places, will sell parts, (or they have some vehicles specifically for parts). Most of them are found in actual vehicle listings, on AutoTrader or Cars.com.

I think if the service center (whom I have a great relationship with) really speaks against it, I will just get it new from them. I trust them more than most of my friends. lol

Well, I know of at least 2 "dealerships" that specialize in recuperating Model S's that have been salvaged. And most of these places, will sell parts, (or they have some vehicles specifically for parts). Most of them are found in actual vehicle listings, on AutoTrader or Cars.com.

I think if the service center (whom I have a great relationship with) really speaks against it, I will just get it new from them. I trust them more than most of my friends. lol
I had been though this conversation with my service center before having them upgrade to dual chargers for my car. Software update MUST be preformed before the second charger will work. In my case, they even had to replace the main charger, as for some reason, it would not talk to the slave charger. It took about 2 days for this to be completed.

I was told the chargers might be somewhere in the neighborhood of $700 for the part out of warranty. That's not bad but not being able to swap them without software updates / changes has me concerned.

Yeah, you're right.
Especially when they did a software update on my battery specifically because I have a '13 60kWh. So, not being able to update the part would not be good at all.