Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have a non-Pano Tesla to compare it against, but I don't notice any noise from the Panoramic roof while closed.

I do have a question about it though, if someone could enlighten me...

I just opened mine for the first time this weekend and this was the first time I saw the bar / mechanism that rises to stretch out a bit of a fabric "shield," apparently to dampen wind noise. That bar bounced around a lot even at 25 MPH, so I was a bit scared to keep the roof open at highway speeds. Is that bar supposed to bounce up and down significantly in the wind, or is mine defective somehow?

Thanks.

Yes, at highway speeds the pano roof is noisier. This is not from air leaks or anything--it is just because that large expanse of glass acts like a drum and amplifies the wind noise. You can test this for yourself by gently touching the pano glass while cruising on a highway. You will feel the glass vibrating.

If you get the pano roof sunshades & add sound deadening materials between the glass & the sunshade, that noise will be lessened dramatically. This will also block almost all the light.
http://shop.teslamotors.com/collections/model-s/products/model-s-panoramic-roof-sunshades

Last edited:
I don't have a non-Pano Tesla to compare it against, but I don't notice any noise from the Panoramic roof while closed.

I do have a question about it though, if someone could enlighten me...

I just opened mine for the first time this weekend and this was the first time I saw the bar / mechanism that rises to stretch out a bit of a fabric "shield," apparently to dampen wind noise. That bar bounced around a lot even at 25 MPH, so I was a bit scared to keep the roof open at highway speeds. Is that bar supposed to bounce up and down significantly in the wind, or is mine defective somehow?

Thanks.
Well, if yours is defective then so is mine. But I don't think it's defective. Every few months I also try to wash/scrape off any crud that collects on the fabric.

I just opened [the pano roof] for the first time this weekend and this was the first time I saw the bar / mechanism that rises to stretch out a bit of a fabric "shield," apparently to dampen wind noise. That bar bounced around a lot even at 25 MPH, so I was a bit scared to keep the roof open at highway speeds. Is that bar supposed to bounce up and down significantly in the wind, or is mine defective somehow?
Hard to say--it is designed to flex in turbulent air--that is part of how it deflects the wind. What you are seeing might be normal or defective, depending on how much flexing is occurring. While parked take a closer look and check.

I haven't noticed any extra noise coming from the top of the car when closed. All I ever hear is tire noise from my 21's. I also have not noticed any sort of vibration or shaking from the fabric wind deflector. As a matter of fact, just today I was driving with it open at moderate speeds, perhaps 45-50, and pulled the deflector down to see what the difference was with interior buffeting. Practically no difference, unlike every other car I have had. My only regret is that I can't enjoy it as much as my rear seat passengers because I'm up front driving. I love the airy feel it gives.