Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help promote EVs in Florida - Legislators File Bills Exempting EVs from Sales Tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TI Sailor

Supporting Member
May 4, 2013
Treasure Island, FL
An amendment to FL Senate Bill 864 filed by FL Senator Darren Soto, D-Orlando on 2/12/15 would exempt electric and hydrogen-powered vehicles from the FL sales tax effective July 1, 2015. I don't have a clue if it has a snowball's chance in H of being enacted, nor do I know if there's a companion FL House of Representatives bill. Here's the applicable language:

Electric and hydrogen vehicles.—The sale of an electric vehicle or a hydrogen vehicle is exempt from the tax imposed by this chapter. As used in this paragraph, the term “electric vehicle” means a motor vehicle that is powered solely by electricity produced by rechargeable storage batteries, and the term “hydrogen vehicle” means a motor vehicle that is powered solely by hydrogen used in a fuel cell or an internal combustion engine. This paragraph expires June 30, 2020.

Section 2. This act shall take effect July 1, 2015

Last edited by a moderator:
Just took a look at the text of the bill. Looks like the exemption might also apply to golf carts. That's a major source of potential support in Florida, especially in retirement communities like Sun City Center (south of Tampa) or The Villages (near Ocala) where a golf cart is the primary means of transportation. Hopefully someone gets the word out in those areas and in that demographic.

I emailed Sen. Soto thanking him for introducing the bill and explaining the Florida Tesla Enthusiast group. Suggest others email Sen. Soto thanking him and offering support for SB 864 as well.

Just click the blue Email this Senator button on the left of this page: Senator Soto - The Florida Senate

Even more important would be for you to email the senator in your district and encourage that Senator to support the bill.

You can find the full list of State Senators here: www.flsenate.gov/Senators Click on your Senator and you'll get a link to e-mail them. Mailing or calling (even better!) your own Senator is the best way to advocate for this. If/when the bill goes for discussion you want them to be thinking "Oh yes, I've got constituents who like this"

Also remember to get others to call or mail. The volume of messages is more important than length.

Last edited:
Here is the text that I sent to my Senator, Gwen Margolis. Feel free to steal it if you'd like.

Dear Senator [INSERT LAST NAME],

My name is [INSERT YOUR FULL NAME] and I am one of your constituents. I'm writing to express my support of a bill that Senator Darren Soto (14) filed recently. SB 864 would exempt Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle purchases from Florida sales tax. I am a Tesla Motors Model S Electric Vehicle owner and a member of the Florida Tesla Enthusiasts, a 600+ person group of Electric Vehicle owners and supporters. We are eagerly following the progress of this bill.

I've reached out to Sen. Soto thanking him for filing this bill. I respectfully request your support on SB 864 should it come before a Committee that you participate on or before the full Senate.

The reliance on the gasoline-powered internal combustion engine as the principal automobile powertrain technology has raised environmental concerns, created a dependence on oil largely imported from foreign nations and exposed consumers to volatile fuel prices. By making it easier to purchase Electric and Hydrogen Vehicles, Florida would go a long way towards conserving our precious natural resources and ensuring energy independence.

Thank you for your service and I look forward to your response.

[INSERT YOUR FULL NAME]

I sent the following to my senator Jeff Brandes, an Iraq War vet. Following @ DJ Frustration's lead, please feel free to copy/paste whatever, if anything, you find persuasive.

Dear Senator Brandes,

My name is Bill Pollard and I’m a native Floridian, UF graduate and longtime Treasure Island resident. I’ve recently learned of a proposal to help our Sunshine State honor its nickname through reduced carbon emissions, while at the same time lessening our dependence on foreign oil.

A provision in SB 864 introduced by Senator Darren Soto will help accomplish both of those goals. Specifically, this provision exempts electric and hydrogen-powered vehicles from Florida’s sales tax for an initial 5 year period. While sales tax revenues will be slightly reduced, I believe those one-time losses will be mitigated by increased and ongoing utility tax revenues, especially for electric vehicles (EV’s).

I respectfully request your support of SB 864 should it come before one of your committees and/or before the full Senate.

Thank you for your military service to our country, as well as your continuing service to our state and District 22.

Sincerely,