Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you been accidentally opening HomeLink Settings instead of opening your garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, you're not alone! I do it at least twice daily.

After months of frustration and a note to Tesla Engineering, I just came up with an easy fix.

1. Open HomeLink Settings.

2. Create a new HomeLink file and give it a one-character name, such as "~".

3. Click the Program button.

4. At the next window click Cancel. A new non-programmed button will be created between your garage button(s) and the HomeLink Settings button. This will keep your finger further away from the HomeLink Settings button when opening your garage.

Voila!

IMG_1426.JPG

But what if you have 2 locations saved, I routinely touch the wrong box or double tap if the car is still moving, its annoying!

I believe you could create a non-programmed button between the two of them. You may have to delete the second one first, create the non-programmed button, then reenter & program your second garage button. After that you could add another non-programmed button, as above, to keep your finger away from the HomeLink Settings.

I don't think I have ever opened the Homelink settings by mistake. But I have two garage doors in my list, left and right. The left is programmed and is what I use every day. I added the right door but never set it up to work. So maybe I am occasionally pushing that button by mistake.

I'd really like to see a pop up on the dash that uses the thumb wheels to confirm.

That would be great. I don't want to have to take my eyes off the road to find the button on the touch screen.

I suppose I could pull the car into my driveway, stop, and then press the button, but it's a lot more efficient to do it while I'm approaching my house, without stopping.

Often I am reaching for the button just as I go over the curb to my driveway and my finger ends up missing the mark or hitting the Settings menu.

I think I mentioned this before, but I'd rather see a large dialog box (or maybe a large representation of the clicker that comes with the door opener) pop up front and center on the big screen.