Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control denied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed the cruise control becomes "unavailable" when you unbuckle the drivers seatbelt? While understandable for a safety concern it was took my by surprise the other day.

Never heard mention of this feature before either.

Taking off your coat while driving cruise control speeds ... now that's less safe if you ask me! Or were you kidding?

Nope not kidding, I drive 50 interstate miles to work in the middle of nowhere and taking my coat off with normal cruise control has never resulted in an issue. Now with this car disabling cruise makes it less safe as i have to manage a pedal as well. Also when the car can see traffic ahead then adjust its speed, warn me of leaving my lane, warn me of impending collision, taking of my seat belt for a minute is a risk I am willing to take with cruise on.

- - - Updated - - -

My god. What utter stupidity and reckless disregard for human life. Honestly. They could have killed someone else if they hit another car.

OK... so if tesla is protecting me from this level of stupidity I get it. However the car can sense weight on the seat and should disable the moment weight it gone..

Sorry, but I don't think a car company should design around you doing unsafe things you've frequently done for your convenience. Many people steer with their knees. It doesn't mean it's safe or that manufacturers should make allowances for it. I've taken my coat off many a time in the car too - and while I also can attest that I've never had something go wrong, I will freely admit it's an unsafe practice that could result in an accident, and that it would be 100% my fault.

Sorry, but I don't think a car company should design around you doing unsafe things you've frequently done for your convenience. Many people steer with their knees. It doesn't mean it's safe or that manufacturers should make allowances for it. I've taken my coat off many a time in the car too - and while I also can attest that I've never had something go wrong, I will freely admit it's an unsafe practice that could result in an accident, and that it would be 100% my fault.

I agree anything that happens while I am driving is 100% my fault. However with the above logic why not force me to do the speed limit as well?

Unfortunately everyone won't admit "it was 100% my fault". Some one will sue Tesla for allowing TACC enabled with no driver in the seat (weight missing), or no seat belt. I recall someone suing Coors for making their beer too tasteful.... thus made them an alcoholic.

@Majerus - there's no problem here. Either take your jacket off as you're entering the car, or pull off to the shoulder for ten seconds. Problem solved. And you're out what, ten seconds? Leave twenty seconds earlier and think of what you can do with all that extra time when you arrive at your destination :)

They probably added it after someone saw the Infiniti video...

Infiniti Q50 Active Lane Control - Selfdriving Car - YouTube

I hope not. Since relying on the seatbelt detector will only deter someone for 3 seconds until they figure out you just have to clip in the seatbelt before getting into the car in order to do this.

Or maybe they figured that someone dumb enough to record this video, is too dumb to figure that out...

I'm confused, the two or three times I took off my coat while in a car, I did not remove my seat belt. That said, I agree that one should just pull over or do it at a red light quickly if they do not want to do it outside the car.

They probably added it after someone saw the Infiniti video...
What is shown in that video is truly stupid and astonishingly reckless behavior, to climb out of the driver's seat while the car is in motion and on active cruise control with lane control engaged.

I totally agree with Tesla's decision to require a certain amount of weight being sensed in the driver's seat for TACC or any auto driving functions to be functional.

Has anyone else noticed the cruise control becomes "unavailable" when you unbuckle the drivers seatbelt? While understandable for a safety concern it was took my by surprise the other day.

Never heard mention of this feature before either.

Seriously, it makes no sense, especially when the self-steering is activated later on.
If you can't crawl into the back seat and take a nap while the car drives down the highway, what's the point? :rolleyes:

What is shown in that video is truly stupid and astonishingly reckless behavior, to climb out of the driver's seat while the car is in motion and on active cruise control with lane control engaged.

I totally agree with Tesla's decision to require a certain amount of weight being sensed in the driver's seat for TACC or any auto driving functions to be functional.

The car does not require weight to be in the seat, only the seat belt to be fastened. I tested it this morning.

While I strongly believe that everyone should wear their seatbelt at all times, it sounds to me as if Tesla chose the wrong sensor here. If people realize this they'll just do the seatbelt up behind their back and continue to drive unsafely.
Same thing was said when govt required the seat belt ding. Instead, people started wearing their seat belts. Look at the rates go up and up and up since 1983: Seat belt use rates in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia