Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goretex Patch - AntiFog headlight installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ended up putting in the gortex patches to help eliminate the fogging in the Roadster headlights.

Recommended:
2 patches per side - Cost: $4 per patch so $16 total for the full job.

I attached some pics. They have a sticky glue, I used the plastic backing as a template, just cut it in half from the paired patch. Then scotch tape it up into your headlight enclosure for a template. Use a drill that fits inside of the rectangle cutout, this allows the glue to have maximum stickiness so it won't fall off.

I also sanded down the area I drilled, that way if roughs up the surface for a better contact. It also removes burrs that will cause the patch Ito eventually not have an even application and eventually allow it to fail to apply to the headlight housing correctly.

In the pics you can see how I applied it to the rear / lower headlight housing for a proper application.

Also in the first pic, a very awesome and long term Roadster Technician took the time to show me how to apply them, that's his pen marks. He indicated to drill holes as he'd circled which are on the inside of the glue marks. Love he long term veterans of Tesla!

IMG_7479.jpg
IMG_7481.jpg
IMG_7485.jpg
IMG_7486.jpg

IMG_7487.jpg

Last edited:
Nice idea, wiz... where did you get the Goretex? I'm still new to my Roadster, surprised how readily the headlights fog up when I wash it or when it's rainy or misty. Is there some gasket needed around the lens? Where does the moisture enter?

Ended up putting in the gortex patches to help eliminate the fogging in the Roadster headlights.

Recommended:
2 patches per side - Cost: $4 per patch so $16 total for the full job.

I attached some pics. They have a sticky glue, I used the plastic backing as a template, just cut it in half from the paired patch. Then scotch tape it up into your headlight enclosure for a template. Use a drill that fits inside of the rectangle cutout, this allows the glue to have maximum stickiness so it won't fall off.

I also sanded down the area I drilled, that way if roughs up the surface for a better contact. It also removes burrs that will cause the patch Ito eventually not have an even application and eventually allow it to fail to apply to the headlight housing correctly.

In the pics you can see how I applied it to the rear / lower headlight housing for a proper application.

Also in the first pic, a very awesome and long term Roadster Technician took the time to show me how to apply them, that's his pen marks. He indicated to drill holes as he'd circled which are on the inside of the glue marks. Love he long term veterans of Tesla!

/QUOTE]

You may want to speak to your Service Center re this? What I was told is that headlight fogging is a known issue and there is a Tesla Service Bulletin on this - the fix is the gore-tex patch which the SC applied as goodwill.

webzombie;915298 You may want to speak to your Service Center re this? What I was told is that headlight fogging is a known issue and there is a Tesla Service Bulletin on this - the fix is the gore-tex patch which the SC applied as goodwill.[/QUOTE said:
Thanks, I'll inquire about the Service Bulletin and their current state of largess.

I just applied the Gortex patches to the headlights I did the HID upgrade to last year. Was pretty painless, I used 4 of these patches (they're shaped differently than the Tesla ones Wiz used). I was able to do the install without removing the wheels (however I suspect it'll depend on how big your hands/forearms are) by moving the steering wheel to each sides lock and then doing the opposite side. I'll update after a few days with any comments on improvements.

Additionally, according to the Service Bulletin SB-12-17-002, "Condensation Inside Headlamps - Ventilation" the maximum drill penetration into the housing should not exceed 11mm and a drill stop should be used. 11mm is a lot deeper than you actually even need to go, I was fine at 5mm. It also recommends removing all the rubber caps on the headlight assemblies and leaving the headlights on for at least 10 minutes to dry and ventilate the interior of the lights prior to completing the job.

Last edited: