Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Storage mode vs standard mode in winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it's clear with all the cold and snow that my Roadster is going to stay in the garage for a while. It's been in Standard mode, trying to unplug and wait until it goes down to 50-60% SOC then plugging it back in. At this point should I just put it in Storage Mode?
Thanks!

Yes, you're better off in Storage mode than leaving it unplugged for a long period of time. The SOC will drop at the same rate whether you're unplugged or in Storage mode, but being plugged in will protect you from accidental bricking if the SOC gets too low.

It's better to have the peace of mind and not worry about checking the SOC every few days. You don't want to come home to a $40,000 replacement bill if you get stuck out of town while the car is unplugged.

Definitely Storage Mode - far safer to keep it plugged in. You never know when some random event might prevent you from getting back to the car for a while to check on it, and then you could end up with a very expensive problem.

If you want to keep it at 50%, just wander by once a week and pop it back into standard mode charging until it tops up a bit, then put it back in Storage again.

Winter

So it's clear with all the cold and snow that my Roadster is going to stay in the garage for a while. It's been in Standard mode, trying to unplug and wait until it goes down to 50-60% SOC then plugging it back in. At this point should I just put it in Storage Mode?
Thanks!

Well, maybe clear to some people, but not me! Now that my Roadster is back from Tesla after a power train failure, it is back to being my daily driver in the VT winter! Only hard part is washing it when the temps are never above freezing!

DJ

Well, maybe clear to some people, but not me! Now that my Roadster is back from Tesla after a power train failure, it is back to being my daily driver in the VT winter! Only hard part is washing it when the temps are never above freezing!

DJ

Off topic - but go to a wand wash station. They use heated water in winter. Just don't get the high pressure wand too close to the carbon fiber, so you damage the paint (it's softer than most cars because the panels are somewhat flexible).

If you want to keep it at 50%, just wander by once a week and pop it back into standard mode charging until it tops up a bit, then put it back in Storage again.

My Roadster is in storage mode each winter. I have it set to charge each night at midnight. OVMS tells me that it is charging at 7 amps and 240 volts, although it is set to charge at 24 amps. This may just be battery heating since the temps are in the teens (F). I occasionally do what Doug has suggested and switch to standard mode with OVMS to keep the SOC at 50%.

Off topic - but go to a wand wash station. They use heated water in winter. Just don't get the high pressure wand too close to the carbon fiber, so you damage the paint (it's softer than most cars because the panels are somewhat flexible).

I actually hand wash my car in our (non-heated, but typically above freezing) attached garage.

I use hot water in 1 gallon buckets (typically only takes 2 or 3) with a very small amount of this Amazon.com: Armor All 10346 Ultra Shine Wash and Wax - 64 oz.: Automotive. The hot water does a nice job of removing salt/road grime this time of year.

I don't worry too much about getting it perfect since it will typically be a short period of time until the next snowfall/salt day, but it is nice to get the crap off.