Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging (220V) install in Minneapolis.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JohnSnowNW

Feb 13, 2015
Minnesota
So, we're looking at adding a 60A or 100A line to our garage, and I had a few questions based on what we've been told from one contractor.

The quotes we were given were:

60A line and sub-panel, with a re-wire of the garage to the new sub panel ($2600)

100A line and sub-panel, with the same re-wire ($3,200)

I wasn't given a break-down of the costs, but it includes running the line from the panel in our basement and out about 60' (including digging the trench) to our detached garage. I plan on having them install two NEMA 14-50 outlets, of which I believe only 1 outlet installation is included in the price.

So, I must admit that I wasn't expecting to pay quite as much, and was wondering if I could get any information on the costs others have shelled out when having an install where a line had to be run some distance. Thought about calling some other contractors, but I have used this specific one in the past and was happy with the work. That said, I don't want to spend money I don't have to.

I'd appreciate any insight people have, as I'm a bit out of my element here. I will say that the we'll be going with a 100A circuit.

A 60A line does not really get you much beyond a 50, so I agree 100 is the way to go. I paid $1,200 for two 14-50's into my attached garage, the run was about 70 feet through my basement and utility room and up into the garage. How long is the wiring run and the trench? I am not an expert on this stuff, do you need a sub-panel, what is the benefit?

A 60A line does not really get you much beyond a 50, so I agree 100 is the way to go. I paid $1,200 for two 14-50's into my attached garage, the run was about 70 feet through my basement and utility room and up into the garage. How long is the wiring run and the trench? I am not an expert on this stuff, do you need a sub-panel, what is the benefit?

The 60' is an approx., the line will have to be run about 25' through the basement, and then about 35-45' through a trench and into the garage. I was told by the contractor that a sub-panel was a requirement...but I do not recall the reason (possibly a code requirement). The garage has minimal wiring, so the re-wire shouldn't add much to the cost...I mean we're talking two 110 outlets and two light fixtures...that's it. I was also told they couldn't just run the wire through the conduit that already exists...but I'm actually not sure why this would be. If they're re-wiring the garage, then the wire that is currently running out to the garage would be removed...perhaps the 100A line is extremely thick?

It would have been nice to have a break-down of the costs, but I suspect this was omitted for a reason...

I would recommend you get a number of different bids/ideas. In my case, I got four. The first was about $1200 for one 50 A circuit and the NEMA 14-50. Second one $1100 or so. Third one $2200 (I don't think he wanted to do it). The fourth was $760 and the way they ran the line worked better, easier for them to do (up the wall by the panel, through the attic, down to right where I wanted it in the garage). I had a lot of room in my panels (I had two put in, extra capacity, when we built 5 years ago, which came in handy for this and more). I am so glad I did it with the fourth estimate, and it was significantly less expensive. They all seemed to have different ideas, but the last one really was the best.

I would recommend you get a number of different bids/ideas. In my case, I got four. The first was about $1200 for one 50 A circuit and the NEMA 14-50. Second one $1100 or so. Third one $2200 (I don't think he wanted to do it). The fourth was $760 and the way they ran the line worked better, easier for them to do (up the wall by the panel, through the attic, down to right where I wanted it in the garage). I had a lot of room in my panels (I had two put in, extra capacity, when we built 5 years ago, which came in handy for this and more). I am so glad I did it with the fourth estimate, and it was significantly less expensive. They all seemed to have different ideas, but the last one really was the best.

Yeah, despite the previous work from the contractor, I think I will entertain other offers. Thanks!

Not in MSP (SE MN) but running an 100A aluminum run from my existing box to the garage (~20ft) to a new junction box and then temporary 50A connection plug was ~$400 from the local electrician. When my HPWC showed up I replaced the plug with the HPWC (you will need to run the copper to the HPWC as the aluminum won't fit and its way to hard to work with).