Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 vs 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me see if I can recall some tasty 2014 improvements for you....

You had already mentioned the folding mirrors being added to the Tech package in late 2013 (Nola_Mike). The driver window control button cluster also changed with the power folding mirror button added in the top center to actuate the folding mirrors.

In 2014....

The Air Suspension was upgraded with a height adjustment feature that remembered previous activation locations via the GPS and automatically adjusted height if your location was revisited and correct (slow) speed were attained.

In Late September, AutoPilot hardware was added to the model S, a camera in front on top windshield and a radar in the front lower grill and sonar sensors in the rear bumpers and far outside front bumpers.

Also TACC Tesla Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane departure sensors and speed limit recognition and warning as part of the Tech Package. This change prompted the control stalk to change slightly.

Optional Next Gen (Recaro OEM) Seating available in the P85D in late 2014. However unanticipated popularity and demand of this option caused many P85D's to be shipped without them installed. They will be retrofitted at a later date. The P85+ Performance Seats with the red piping and alcantara panels were removed from availability at the same time.

The paint Colors Metallic Brown and Green removed from availability in late 2014.

The Color Metallic Grey changed in mid 2014 to a somewhat darker and blueish tinge.

The design studio used to offer front end protective wrap as an option, however this was dropped in mid to late 2014.

Lacewood Interior dash finish removed from availability in late 2014.

As mentioned by Cyclone, the black alcantara headliner was added as an option in mid 2014, and this option
also added alcantara to the front edge of the dashboard. Choosing premium interior deleted non-alcantara
headliner as a choice option in the design center.

Premium Interior Illumination (LEDs) were moved from a stand alone option, and moved into the Premium Interior Option package.

Parking Sensors which were a stand alone option were moved into the Tech Package in Mid 2014.

The P85 (BerTEX) and P85+ models were dropped from availability and replaced with the dual motor P85D as the Tesla Model S premium performance 691HP offering in late 2014. The frunk on the P85D lost some space where the front motor resides and the frunk latching mechanism was changed.

The P85D was the first S I saw that had new metal door sill plate inserts in the interior door area (not sure if the S60, S85 or S85D will have these, time will tell, the sill plates have never been mentioned in the Design Studio) (Note: there were a few P85+'s made near the end of their production which have all the sensors and cameras and such for the autonomous driving features, I predict that these few P85+ will be highly prized in the future)

The rear door hinges were redesigned for wider opening and easier entry to the rear seats.

The long awaited Optional Tesla Center Console, in the accessories section of the TM website began shipping in Piano Black trim only.
Additionally, the once optional Yacht Flooring in the center area became standard in mid to late 2014 where before it was a stand alone option.

Heated steering wheel added in very late 2014 as a new component of the Cold Weather Package however this
fact was not really officially announced in the design studio until mid January 2015.

The brake actuator was changed in late 2014 for a newer electronic version which was necessary for future Autonomous Driving.

The S85D could be ordered in late 2014 but would not ship until late February of 2015.

In late 2014 two sets of snow tires and wheels and TPMS sensors were added as a design center option, in 19" and 21".

New version and manufacturer of the tire pressure sensors TPMS, replaced the previous sensors in late 2014. (note to all ordering used wheels, the "old" TPMS sensors apparently do not work on the new cars, sadly. You can order the new version TPMS sensors from your SC).

Not sure about this but I have heard that the self presenting door handle mechanism was redesigned some time in early 2014. Also I think
the cabin temperature sensor was moved or modified??

Internationally, a Right Hand Drive model of the S was introduced in the UK in June of 2014 and Hong Kong in September of 2014 and
supposedly in Australia in December 2014.

There were many firmware upgrades during 2014 which the firmware WIKI aptly illustrates.

I am sure there are some other changes which I am not aware of that others may embellish upon as my memory wanes....

Last edited:
Andy,
When you read all those changes, you become aware of the fluidity of the S and its constant evolution.
I wonder what mine will be like when I order it? And will it be called a P85D?
Cant Wait...
The S keeps getting better and better as time goes by.:smile:

Last edited:
Since Tesla really doesn't do "Model Years" and simply changes the year designation with the calendar year while continually adding features and improvements it's not really applicable to say "2014 Models have xxxxx features and 2013 Models didn't".

For example, my June 2013 build Model S did not have power folding mirrors, parking sensors, Cold Weather Package (rear heated seats), and quite a few other items that cars built later in 2013 did have available. (The power folding mirrors were added in 2013 BTW)

Mike

One minor thing on the list -- both the P85 and P85+ were discontinued, not just the plus.

Also, weren't the Aero wheels discontinued in 2013? Not sure if that counts as something "new".

I don't think you mentioned dual motors, but that's pretty obvious.

Another minor one: 2014 cars are able to charge at greater than 20 amps from 120v sources. 2013 cars are limited to a maximum of 20A when charging from 120v sources.

Yes, I have heard that. Was that lower limit a "feature" of the so called "A" battery pack? If so, then what battery pack letter allowed the higher charge rate at a super charger?
If we can get more specific that would be good.

I will try to make the list more chronologically correct and pass that on to a moderator who may be able to put it in a WIKI or something. Gives me something to do in the FRIGID weather we are having in the Northeast.

Thanks Cosmacelf.
Art

No, the 120v charge limit doesn't appear to have anything to do with battery packs, or single/dual chargers. It may be an internal charger limitation. If I had to guess, it would be charger firmware that can't be updated with the regular OTA updates. But I haven't been able to get a straight answer from Tesla. It isn't a big deal, since the only greater than 20A 120v sources people normally find are TT-30 plugs found in RV parks, and most RV parks will also have NEMA 14-50, 50A 240V plugs.

As far as timing goes, when this was being discussed, as near as I can tell cars produced in 2014 didn't have this limitation, those produced in 2013 did. But that's from a very small sample size. Hard to get more granular since most people don't have 30A 120V sources to try (well, you can jury rig an adapter to try it with your NEMA 14-50, but even fewer people are comfortable doing that).

Yes, I have heard that. Was that lower limit a "feature" of the so called "A" battery pack? If so, then what battery pack letter allowed the higher charge rate at a super charger?
If we can get more specific that would be good.

I will try to make the list more chronologically correct and pass that on to a moderator who may be able to put it in a WIKI or something. Gives me something to do in the FRIGID weather we are having in the Northeast.

Thanks Cosmacelf.
Art

Since you mentioned the "A" battery, maybe there is some info available on timing and changes in the packs and corresponding letters? I know I'd like to know that. I've seen it mentioned, but really don't know what the differences are.

As more buyers are looking at a pre-owned Model S, this list would be really helpful. Should be sticky-tized in the MS sub-forum? Maybe re-titled "Model S Feature Change History" so that it can include all model years?

BetTX:
That idea is a wonderful idea, I am working towards this end with Nigel. Have organized the data in a chronological and major functional manner.
Been checking with older posts and started naming some of the options correctly as per the TM Design Studio.
However I lack all of the early standard features and options on the original 2012 and early 2013 Model S cars.
Hope someone can help out with that.

Art

No, the 120v charge limit doesn't appear to have anything to do with battery packs, or single/dual chargers. It may be an internal charger limitation. If I had to guess, it would be charger firmware that can't be updated with the regular OTA updates. But I haven't been able to get a straight answer from Tesla. It isn't a big deal, since the only greater than 20A 120v sources people normally find are TT-30 plugs found in RV parks, and most RV parks will also have NEMA 14-50, 50A 240V plugs.
It has everything to do with the Gen2 charger being installed in the car. 2013's still have the first generation chargers.