Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Houston to New Orleans Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone made the trip between Houston and New Orleans on the recently opened Superchargers? Is this trip possible only charging once with ideal conditions? Would love to hear anyone's experiences or thoughts on this route. Thanks if advance.

Has anyone made the trip between Houston and New Orleans on the recently opened Superchargers? Is this trip possible only charging once with ideal conditions? Would love to hear anyone's experiences or thoughts on this route. Thanks if advance.

Certainly the trip is possible - many of us made it before the superchargers. Then, some of us made it after Lake Charles opened but before Baton Rouge opened.

As BerTX pointed out, I'd hit both Lake Charles and Baton Rouge and not worry about doing (or taking the time to) range charges in an 85.

I don't understand why you would only charge once? Much faster (and safer) to charge twice and drive at the speed of traffic flow. Driving at 60 mph on I-10 is a bad idea -- been there, done that!

I do not currently own a Tesla so I was asking from the perspective of a potential owner and what to expect. Interesting to know charging twice would actually be faster, thanks for the feedback.

- - - Updated - - -

Certainly the trip is possible - many of us made it before the superchargers. Then, some of us made it after Lake Charles opened but before Baton Rouge opened.

As BerTX pointed out, I'd hit both Lake Charles and Baton Rouge and not worry about doing (or taking the time to) range charges in an 85.

NOLA Mike, have you made this trip with both Superchargers? If so, how long did it take you? I know it takes 5 hours without any stops and no traffic.

NOLA Mike, have you made this trip with both Superchargers? If so, how long did it take you? I know it takes 5 hours without any stops and no traffic.

I have not made the trip since both opened. 5 hours, in my experience, is pushing it. I guess it depends on where you are going or starting from in Houston (let's face it, it can take 1 hour to get from one side of Houston to the other).

Having said that, it's about 350 miles so assuming you start with a 90% charge in an 85, I'm going to guess that charging will likely add an hour to the trip.

Driving the Tesla doesn't lend itself to 5-hour bladder marathons. Stop every 2 hours for a leg-stretch and potty break while charging, then back on your way.

I don't own a Tesla, either, but I will. There is a ton of information here in TMC, you just have to take the time to read it!

GREETINGS

- - - Updated - - -

Greetings
I am trying to decide whether I can get from Austin to New Orleans and back in my new Model S. I know that it is certainly possible to get there, but getting back seems to require recharging in New Orleans proper. I would like to find a hotel with a charging facility, but have not yet managed to find one. The options look like Nissan Dealerships and Whole Foods. Does anyone know of a hotel in New Orleans that offers lodging and charging??
Thanks in advance for advice.

GREETINGS

- - - Updated - - -

Greetings
I am trying to decide whether I can get from Austin to New Orleans and back in my new Model S. I know that it is certainly possible to get there, but getting back seems to require recharging in New Orleans proper. I would like to find a hotel with a charging facility, but have not yet managed to find one. The options look like Nissan Dealerships and Whole Foods. Does anyone know of a hotel in New Orleans that offers lodging and charging??

These two Best Westerns have chargers:
Best Western Bayou Inn | Westwego, LA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare
Best Western La Place Inn | Laplace, LA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

There may be other options if you look around on PlugShare.

GREETINGS

- - - Updated - - -

Greetings
Plugshare.com is your friend. And now you can see destination chargers on the screen in your car. Life is just getting better all the time.

GREETINGS

- - - Updated - - -

Greetings
A few thoughts--
The Baton Rouge supercharger to New Orleans is 160 miles round trip. You may not need to charge in New Orleans unless you're going to be driving around the city.
You can call hotels and ask if there is a 120V outlet in their garage you can use overnight (I've done this twice in Dallas).
If you have the CHAdeMO adapter, there is a free CHAdeMO station at Rouses Market.
If you're not in the Austin Tesla owners Google group, PM me with your email and I'll send you the link. Lots of good info there about trips from Austin and other info about owning a Tesla in Austin. You may be able to borrow a CHAdeMO adapter.