Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DRL's standard on all cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my car for a month or so and just realized there are no drl's. Neither this car nor my first S, which had drl's, has the tech package.
The people I've spoken to at Tesla think that drl's might be a part of the tech package, although it seems clear to me from the specs page on their website that drl's are standard on all cars.

Anybody else not have drl's?

Website shows:

Safety

• LED daytime running lights
So it's on all cars. I've never seen a Model S or a picture of a Model S without them. The ones in the U.S. can be turned on an off in the controls screen.

Website shows:

Safety

• LED daytime running lights
So it's on all cars. I've never seen a Model S or a picture of a Model S without them. The ones in the U.S. can be turned on an off in the controls screen.

Yeah, that's the wierd thing - the button is missing from the lights section of my control screen, although I could swear it was there when I got my U.S. car.

Yeah, that's the wierd thing - the button is missing from the lights section of my control screen, although I could swear it was there when I got my U.S. car.
Wait, are you in Canada by any chance? I believe I read that, by law, all new cars in Canada must have always-on DRLs. As such, Tesla was removing the DRL button from the controls menu.

If you're in the US, is the car new? There was a period early in the production run where DRLs were part of the tech package, but that was phased out in, I believe, mid 2013.

If it's a recent vintage US-market vehicle and you don't have the DRL button, though, there's something wrong.

I've never seen a Model S without DRLs.

They're out there. There's some with halogen headlights, too.

What version are you on now? Have you rebooted? Both screens?

Some variant of 6.1, I believe (too cold to go outside to check right now). Yes, I've rebooted.

It is optional whether to turn them on. Are you sure ON is selected on the lighting choices screen?
There is no button to turn on.

Wait, are you in Canada by any chance? I believe I read that, by law, all new cars in Canada must have always-on DRLs. As such, Tesla was removing the DRL button from the controls menu.

If you're in the US, is the car new? There was a period early in the production run where DRLs were part of the tech package, but that was phased out in, I believe, mid 2013.

If it's a recent vintage US-market vehicle and you don't have the DRL button, though, there's something wrong.
I'm in NY. Car was purchased just in late December of last year. It was manufactured some time around September of last year.

I thought only cars with Tech had DRL. I drove a new loaner last week and it did not have DRL or Tech.
Some of the staff at my service center seem to not be sure about this either. However, as jerry33 stated, it's pretty clear from Tesla's website that drl's are standard equipment.

I am wondering if a bug was recently introduced to the software. I know I had drl's on my last car (May 2013 vintage) that also did not have the tech pkg, but I am reasonably sure that I have seen the drl button on this car as well.

Service center is supposed to get back to me tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses.

I am not trying to knock your car or you ... but why would you buy two consecutive Model S's without the tech package.
It's like a smartphone without an antenna.

I also did not see appropriate value in the tech package. If I ordered a replacement in September last year or before, I would have still skipped it. There are some features in it that I find annoying - especially the power liftgate. After the AP announcement, it would have been a difficult decision. Since I like to drive, there's a good chance I'd still skip it today. To each their own.

When I ordered my car in July 2013, I distinctly remember LED DRL`s being listed under the tech package description. My car has LED DRL`s. I also remember checking the order page after I got the car, and they were still listed under the tech package.

You should look at the front of your car while it's on and see if they are there. From outside the car, if you open the drivers door and press the brake pedal without sitting on the seat, the car will stay on when you close the door. They probably are there, and you just can't turn them off.

Somewhere summer of 2013 a few things got changed. Daytime running lights used to be standard, and are now part of the Tech package. Halogen lights used to be standard and Xenon lights were part of tech, now Xenon lights are standard. And Also cornering lights were added to the tech package.

So basically in the US if you have a car built after summer of 2013 without tech package you don't have DRLs.

DRLs definitely used to be listed under Tech package and I've had non-tech loaners which did not have the DRLs. The light assembly is visibly different where the DRLs go. Maybe they are standard on all now?

I also did not see appropriate value in the tech package.

The initial reason for the tech package [opinion], because all the items it includes are things that should be standard, was to keep the price of the initial 40 kW base car under $50K, . When they found most people would pay for the package, they kept it separate, although what it consists of has changed over time.

I also remember this ... our DRL's are a unique shape. And when a Model S comes towards me, or I see one approach in the rear view mirror, I immediately get a GRIN.

So our DRL's LED layout are a distinctive "trademark".

I vividly remember about a year ago Tesla saying that in their new pricing that DRL's would be optional. Which made me thin, NO! Every Model S needs their distinctive LED "ornament".

Not checked since, but at some time or maybe still, DRL's were definitely going to be an option.

You should look at the front of your car while it's on and see if they are there. From outside the car, if you open the drivers door and press the brake pedal without sitting on the seat, the car will stay on when you close the door. They probably are there, and you just can't turn them off.

I had checked. They are not there or are there but not on.

From my talks with sales about buying a CPO car there was about 4 months last year where tesla broke out DRL and unless you bought tech you didn't get them. Up until then it was standard on every car. I'd suggest checking your Monroney and see what it says mine has DRL listed specifically.

it sounds like you either bought an inventory car or used last year and if you didn't get your monroney with the car (you should have if you bought an inventory car.)..tesla can provide you with your digital version.