Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy a Supercharger from Alibaba?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just found this thing for sale. It says it's got a maximum of 50kW output, but I can't see any pictures of the plug. I bet it's CHAdeMO that happens to work with the Model S if you use the adapter.

Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

The page you linked to states in the title that it is a J1772 and in the specs that the output power is 90 kW.

The minimum order quantity is 10.

Doesn't the J1772 spec max out at 20kW or is that only for AC?

That's for AC - which is what J1772 is basically about. There's a signal contained in J1772 which announces the charging station is a DC station - causing the car to initiate a separate communication stream for DCFC, but J1772 and it's limits are all AC AFAIK. (Tesla complies 100% with J1772 signaling despite using a different physical plug - but when a Model S gets the "I am a DCFC" signal, it reaches out with CANBus for a Supercharger instead of the CCS signaling.)

I'm not sure what exactly they are offering, but I'd bet it isn't an actual Supercharger cabinet. AFAIK, Alibaba is a link to direct ordering from Chinese factories - and the Supercharger components (which are the same guts as Model S charger modules) Tesla has said they build in house in California.
Walter

By the way, a little known fact is that Tesla does sell Superchargers for private use. They've already done so. For obvious reasons, the majority of these have been installed at business locations, not homes. (You'd be unlikely to find adequate power in a residential area.) From what I understand, the basic 2-car setup runs around $100K. I'm not sure about the output. It may depend on the utility connection.

Last edited:
By the way, a little known fact is that Tesla does sell Superchargers for private use. They've already done so. For obvious reasons, the majority of these have been installed at business locations, not homes. (You'd be unlikely to find adequate power in a residential area.) From what I understand, the basic 2-car setup runs around $100K. I'm not sure about the output. It may depend on the utility connection.

Where did you hear that?