Thread: Buy a Supercharger from Alibaba?

Items for Sale

Buy a Supercharger from Alibaba?

Just found this thing for sale. It says it's got a maximum of 50kW output, but I can't see any pictures of the plug. I bet it's CHAdeMO that happens to work with the Model S if you use the adapter.

Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum
    2013 S85 | Green | Pano | Tech | Park Sensors | Jump Seats | Air Suspension | Delivered 12/3/2013
    2014 Chevy Volt

Interesting...not sure I'd pay 3k+ to try it. I do believe that the future of home charging will be a station like that either in your garage or right outside your garage and we'll have near-supercharger capabilities eventually.

Buy a Supercharger from Alibaba?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris TX View Post
    Just found this thing for sale. It says it's got a maximum of 50kW output, but I can't see any pictures of the plug. I bet it's CHAdeMO that happens to work with the Model S if you use the adapter.

Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum
    The page you linked to states in the title that it is a J1772 and in the specs that the output power is 90 kW.

The minimum order quantity is 10.
    S 85 Silver & Grey w/Tech, Coils, Hi-Fi Sound, Parking Sensors, Fog Lamps, Lacewood, HPWC, took delivery 12/21/13, 22K miles
    1.5 Roadster #425, "Very Orange", HPC, second owner, acquired 10/07/14, 17K miles

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    Doesn't the J1772 spec max out at 20kW or is that only for AC?
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Quote Originally Posted by dsm363 View Post
    Doesn't the J1772 spec max out at 20kW or is that only for AC?
    That's for AC - which is what J1772 is basically about. There's a signal contained in J1772 which announces the charging station is a DC station - causing the car to initiate a separate communication stream for DCFC, but J1772 and it's limits are all AC AFAIK. (Tesla complies 100% with J1772 signaling despite using a different physical plug - but when a Model S gets the "I am a DCFC" signal, it reaches out with CANBus for a Supercharger instead of the CCS signaling.)

I'm not sure what exactly they are offering, but I'd bet it isn't an actual Supercharger cabinet. AFAIK, Alibaba is a link to direct ordering from Chinese factories - and the Supercharger components (which are the same guts as Model S charger modules) Tesla has said they build in house in California.
    Walter

Items for Sale
    Looking further down the listing, it is CHAdeMO.
    2013 S85 | Green | Pano | Tech | Park Sensors | Jump Seats | Air Suspension | Delivered 12/3/2013
    2014 Chevy Volt

By the way, a little known fact is that Tesla does sell Superchargers for private use. They've already done so. For obvious reasons, the majority of these have been installed at business locations, not homes. (You'd be unlikely to find adequate power in a residential area.) From what I understand, the basic 2-car setup runs around $100K. I'm not sure about the output. It may depend on the utility connection.
    Last edited by ToddRLockwood; 2015-02-14 at 11:24 AM.
    2013 Model S Performance
    VIN 5348, Delivered 3/9/13
    Pearl White, Black, Pano, 21" Silver, Carbon, Tech, Sound, Twin Chargers

Quote Originally Posted by ToddRLockwood View Post
    By the way, a little known fact is that Tesla does sell Superchargers for private use. They've already done so. For obvious reasons, the majority of these have been installed at business locations, not homes. (You'd be unlikely to find adequate power in a residential area.) From what I understand, the basic 2-car setup runs around $100K. I'm not sure about the output. It may depend on the utility connection.
    Where did you hear that?

Quote Originally Posted by ariporad View Post
    Where did you hear that?
    From a company source. It makes sense that Tesla would accommodate these rare requests. All of the hardware already exists. There are commercial applications, such as taxi companies, where a private supercharger would be well worth the investment.
    Last edited by ToddRLockwood; 2015-02-18 at 05:18 AM.
    2013 Model S Performance
    VIN 5348, Delivered 3/9/13
    Pearl White, Black, Pano, 21" Silver, Carbon, Tech, Sound, Twin Chargers

Thread Information